Recording behavior

I have two sets of antennas (vhf/uhf) pointing toward two metro areas. The national networks (cbs, abc, etc.) are available in each area although reception quality due to weather and topography may be different from each area. Using Tivos or Plex, I am able two record the same network (e.g. cbs) from each area as 3.1 and 6.1. This improves my chances or getting a good recording when I really care about that. The guide shows all channels.

Channels dvr accepts the first recording request and actually records that channel. If I enter a second recording request (at the same time or later) no error is given but no recording is scheduled or occurs.

Bug? Or what? Certainly not a feature as my two homeruns provide 6 tuners.

Thanks

Pretty sure it is designed to not record the same show twice.

Correct. If that's what he's talking about.
Channels DVR will not record the same series episode or same special show more than once.
There currently are a few work arounds.
a) After it records the first one, find a future airing and mark it as not recorded, then record it
b) Choose to record whatever precedes or follows the program you want and pre/post pad the recording to get what you want
c) Create a manual recording
d) Use two Channels servers

1 Like

What is the definition of a recording (of a specific series/episode)? Is it based on program NAME without regard to what channel that program is on?

With Tivo or Plex, I can record a program on CBS (Norfolk channel 3.1) AND I can also record the same program on CBS (Richmond channel 6.1). I end up with two recordings differing by which channel they were on. Tivo and Plex seem to include the channel number in its definition of an instance of a recording. They are UNIQUE recordings; one is not a duplication of the other .

With channels dvr. it looks like a recording is defined to be a named instance of a program without regards as to which channel it is recorded from - thus preventing another recording of the same-named program. I understand that is useful to prevent existing recordings from being duplicated when there are multiple airings of the same series/episodes. But, if the channel number was part of the definition then you would fix this issue and still prevent unwanted duplications.

Since you didn't state specifically what you wanted to record from each channel, I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about.
Series Title is American Experience
Episode Title is The Codebreaker
It's Season 33, Episode 1 and is airing on PBS Monday at 9pm and Tuesday at 3pm.
Channels DVR can record either airing, but not both unless you employ one of the workarounds.

The same rules apply if it was airing on different channels.
Channels DVR uses a unique number called ProgramID that uniquely identifies every episode and special.
It remembers it recorded that ProgramID and will not record it again.

For my case, the same show is on both channels at the same time and there are no future episodes so workaround a won't work.
Workaround b would work.
I need to learn what is involved with workaround c as I don't see a manual record button.
I'm using a RPi so I don't think workaround d will work.

My thoughts were that the easier it is to do things then the more customers would choose Channels DVR. That would mean more income for the developers. If the product has limited appeal then it will have limited subscribers. Good support through the community is a plus. Thanks.

There currently are a few work arounds.
a) After it records the first one, find a future airing and mark it as not recorded, then record it
b) Choose to record whatever precedes or follows the program you want and pre/post pad the recording to get what you want
c) Create a manual recording
d) Use two Channels servers

A TiVo will do what you're asking, Channels DVR currently doesn't.
A TiVo will also let you setup manual (even repeating) recordings easily, Channels DVR doesn't.
For workaround "c", there is no button (yet).

Just beware if you choose workaround "c" for this you want to start one recording a minute before or after the other, or use a different title for the manual recording, like "Title-6.1", otherwise both recordings end up in the same file, not good, see https://community.getchannels.com/t/how-to-create-a-manual-time-channel-based-recording-job/24196/21

You say that like your issue is the most important issue which it certainly isn't. Funny how you worded that, like you think they never thought of wanting to please their customer base and bring in more income.

Thanks. I have: (3) older Tivo DVRs, (1) Plex DVR and (1) Channels DVR. Just playing and learning.

Tivo is the family choice and with new, larger drives they are the easiest to use.

I like Channels and use the client each day to view shows on my iPad. For recording, it serves as a backup; it currently could not be my primary dvr as the capabilities are still evolving.

Surround sound and minor picture quality improvement is the only reason I can't dump my TiVo's.

I still gladly gave them my $80...

Not sure why you thought I considered this to be the most important issue? Of course they want to increase their base. I have seen (and worked for) companies that forget about their base and then wonder why customers are disappearing.

My point was: if you want to appeal to a wider audience, one that isn't a developer or programmer, then ease of use is important. I like Channels and its DVR. I'm new to it and learning. Fun stuff!

The way you are wording that is peculiar and patronizing although you aren't meaning to, but it comes off like that. If I was juggling issues and requests of any sort, and you gave me that speil, I would tell you where to stick it.

It is like you think you are motivating them through your worldly knowledge. Haha.