Recording conflict management

If the log has no entries at the time when that recording was supposed to happen, then it means it was never scheduled in the first place and it has nothing to do with HDHR priority.

Sometimes the guide data can reuse the wrong episode ID and the DVR will think its already recorded that episode and never put it on the schedule.

1 Like

that must be what happened here then. frustrating, but not your fault.

would setting it to record all episodes fix this potential problem?

Frankly, even a warning that my recording will have the lowest priority would be helpful. The other day, I tried recording a one-time special episode of a show and it didn't record. Only afterwards did I realize it had a lower priority and was added to the bottom of the queue.

I think new recordings should always get the highest priority or at least give us a warning that it's the lowest priority.

I only have one device that ever claims access to the tuners and that's Channels. You can probably assume that Channels has exclusive access to the tuners and go ahead and warn users of the conflicts that you already know about. At least control what you can. What happens with other devices is not in your control.

That was kind of what I was getting at. Channels never will be able to control someone else's hardware but they can manage their own. I think that would be a great addition.

I think the only way it could work is in a maximum number of tuners exceeded condition.

Scenario: I have a HDHR4, no other TVE, no other way to add streams to Channels.

Channels could know that trying to schedule 5 concurrent recordings will fail. I don't know if it can tell you which particular recording would fail, that depends on priority. But it could know that I'm trying to record more than I will ever have tuners available.

That doesn't account for the outside factors like one or more tuners actively streaming so that I really only have 3 tuners available, and I don't think it ever will be able to know those conditions. But exceeding the maximum available under the best conditions might be workable?

As I've said before, if my DirecTV box can do this flawlessly why can't the Channels dvr? Maybe it can't. I don't know. Heck, I've got an app on my android phone that can record at least 20 audio streams at the same time! I realize that's not the same thing. I'm just a lot more optimistic!

You're comparing apples and oranges. And missing the points of many people that have tried to explain it to you.

1 Like

Well, if I am, it's because no one is saying it in layman's terms. Im not a programmer. So, if I don't "get it" I don't need to be lectured.

You have a dozen eggs sitting on the table at a restaurant (available tuners). Even if there is only one chef (Channels DVR) no matter what you do you can't make 13 omelettes (record 13 shows). Now add more chefs (Other applications looking at those same eggs) and no one chef can tell you how many omlettes (recordings) can be made because they don't know what other chefs (applications) are going to be taking the eggs (tuners) without telling anyone (other applications) that they are cooking the eggs (recording).

Best case scenario is one chef (Channels) and one box of eggs (HDHR). That chef knows he'll only ever be able to make 12 omelettes. The only thing he can tell you is that if you're the 13th person to order then you're not eating. He can't tell you what order the 12 people that are eating will be served in, or who will finish eating first.

As for your android recording 20 streams at once, great! Doesn't relate to this at all. Channels needs individual tuners, one tuner == one stream. You want 20 shows at once then you're going to need 20 tuners. It's like an FM radio, only one audio stream per radio.

And I was saying we ignore the possibility of adding a chef and adding more eggs. You control what you can control and ignore the rest IF you want the scenario to work. You didn't read where I said that you ignore other software and hardware. I stated that it would never work if you didn't do it that way. Just like my DirecTV box, it only works with a DirecTV box.

If Channels can control just their own tuners, tell us when their are conflicts and prohibit conflicts in just their own software is all I would want and I think that would satisfy 99 percent of their subscribers. My point of the Android example was just to show what can be done within one simple APK.

I hope that clears up what I meant. I wasn't trying to be obstinate.

As was already previously stated, even if you remove non-Channels apps from the situation, the case is still the same. The reason for this is because by default the DVR does not know when a client is watching live TV, and therefore the total tuner count available to the DVR is reduced by one for each client/TV watching live. And this all occurs within the Channels ecosystem.

That's not to say conflict management is impossible. It's just showing how much additional work is necessary to get this working. There are a lot of moving pieces that all have to be in communication with one another. That doesn't currently happen right now. In order for that to happen, a lot of work still needs to be done.

1 Like

On SageTV if watching LiveTV and something is scheduled to record it prompts you if you want to stop watching LiveTV and record the scheduled program ... if no response the recording will take priority.. What is funny is that SageTV is one of the oldest DVR out there but more advanced than any other when recording or watching LiveTV.

I've said this in other threads, bears repeating here:

Everything is simple to the person that doesn't have to write the code.

Great, doesn't apply anywhere but SageTV.

My sportscar does 0-60 in 3 seconds, why can't a 16 wheeler hauling 20 tons?!?!?!?!

Except SageTV is employing the same paradigm as cable/satellite DVRs: all clients talk directly to the DVR, the DVR owns all the tuners, and the DVR knows what's going on at all times. It's a closed ecosystem with a single brain. Channels is currently participating in an open ecosystem, and its DVR/brain doesn't always know what the individual clients are doing.

On the surface, it may appear the same, and that it ought to be easy. But you're comparing apples and T-bone steaks: two very different things.

2 Likes

Gocha .. thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

i'm still not entirely sure that this is working the way it should.

example: i have several series passes for CBS shows. according to the DVR, i have two options for CBS - xfinity TVE (which i've never been able to get to work since it was added), and locast.

based on discussions in another thread, i have moved locast to the bottom of the priority list for recording...which means that it should be trying to use the TVE stream first (even though it won't work). but, when i go into the DVR screen, it shows 6003, 2.1 as the channels for the scheduled recordings (which seem to indicate they're going to use the locast stream first).

by contrast, my NBC recordings (which also have a TVE option) show 6000, 4.1 in the DVR schedule page (which seems to indicate they're going to use the TVE stream first, locast second).

can someone explain to me what exactly is going on here and how i make sure this works? ideally i'd tell it to stop using the CBS TVE feed altogether since it never works, but i can't figure out how to do that either...

6003 is TVE, so Locast is not first

Hide the channel under the source using manage lineup

1 Like

sorry, i had that backwards. my statement was correct but the numbers were backwards.

for the CBS recordings, it shows 2.1, 6003. for NBC it shows 6000, 4.1. this is with locast set last in the recording priority list.

if i hide the channel as you suggested, that doesn't change anything. the schedule list still says 2.1, 6003.

Sounds like you've marked Locast CBS as a favorite, and that's why it is preferred. Remember, priorities on the server are recording only, and client priority only affects live viewing and guide presentation.