Recording shows as too short, server crash when generate logs

I recorded a program on HGTV, Holmes Family Rescue. Via TVE
The show come sup as 21min in length in the app on Apple TV and on the server GUI.
However, it is supposed to be 1hr.
It will continue to play after the timeline stops at 21 min, even will seek forward or back fine.
The .mpg file will show in VLC as 21min, but does the same behavior, will play past its 21min mark.
I remux the file through MKVtoolnix, and that resulting file is the correct length. (But audio goes out of sync the further you go into the file after 30min or so.)

Tried the regenerate video index and Fix Video Timestamps, did not fix it.

Can upload the .mpg file if you want. to look at it see if that helps find issue.

I went into the server UI, and Trouble shooting, Generate logs, and it took a long time, couple min, then gave the log code, but, then, the server is fully unresponsive. Won't load the Admin UI, SMB nto working, apps can't find server.
f276b7bb-4524-4f76-8eaf-9f712a8a2995

After power cycle and server update.
51ec9d20-d7c3-495d-a09e-dbf067b2bfda

Is running on RPi4B.
Server: 2023.06.13.1441 (just updated to 2023.06.15.2022 after power cycle)
App tvos: beta 6.14.2346

Image of what the timeline bar shows.

This sounds like an issue many were reporting with discovery network channels, and im pretty sure hgtv is one of them. I also saw this same behavior earlier this week on discovery - recorded deadliest catch. 18 min recording, but show is hour long. Perhaps discovery networks have changed something. It had been stable for many many months, so i had not enabled the rewriter - see below thread.

You could try enabling this in the channels server admin page.
Im going to enable it and see if the timestamps behave better tonight on discovery and next week.

Does Fix Video Timestamps on the recording make any difference?

Nope. Mentioned that in my post.

Last i read about that setting, it was super beta and failed testing, and advised not to use it.
I had tried it, but it cause issues on other channels recordings. Was some time ago now.

Yep. I had it disabled it for the same reason, but discovery had settled down so much that i never continued testing.

Im doing a test recording right now with it enabled.

I am seeing a similar issue. Tried to record Hoffman Family Gold twice this last weekend and both times it failed at the 24 minute mark. I have also seen this issue on HGTV & Magnolia networks last week, but thought it might have been a one time glitch. I submitted diagnostics after the 2nd recording of Hoffman Family Gold failed on Sunday. I don't think my Channels DVR server crashed during diagnostics though.

I had the same issue - same show this past friday. Here are a few threads that Im pretty sure are related.

Several of us never enabled the experimental rewriter, because at one point it wasnt stable. The issue with the discovery networks “seems” to be worse on first run primetime episodes.

Ive now enabled the rewriter, and i was able to record the rerun on hoffman the next day. This recording was the full length.

However, the real test for me will be tomorrow night for first run of deadliest catch with the rewriter enabled. Last tuesday the file was only 12 minutes. Same symptom we are seeing.

Ill report back. Anyone else enable the experimental rewriter?

Lets also merge this thread with the old thread. Im pretty sure this is the issue.

If they could make it so that you could enable the beta rewriter per series pass, or per channel or something that would be useful because I don’t want to enable to globaly because it tends to screw up other things.

I turned on the experimental TS rewriter so we'll see what happens next time it's broadcast on Friday. I also ran the Hoffman Family Gold episode through VideoReDo's quickstream fix utility. While Videoredo did recover a lot of the episode, there were still a lot of dropped frames.

I just did another 1hr long recording on HGTV Fix my Flip, and it has the same issue.

I just enabled the Re-writter and set another episode to record starting next hour.

See if the recording is proper then.

Is there any other FREE software that can do what VideoRedo does, fix the video file?

I just looked that software and it is a paid thing, and not available to purchase anymore as the founder/maker of it has died and is no longer updating it.
THe latest version of the Suitev6 is from 2021 and the Plus version is from 2012

Cause when i just remix with Mkvtoolnix, it gives the full file length, but audio is way out of sync after the 30 min mark or so.

EDIT: I dug around my random collection of software tools, and found LosslessCut seems to process and export this broken file correctly. The audio is in sync.

1 Like

Enableing the experimental rewritter does the trick.

However, it REALLY needs to be a option to selectively enable it per channel.

Last i had tried it, it caused issue with some channels, like Pluto channels, and also while watching live, caused buffering and freezing. Disabled it and the issues went away.

I noticed this issue as well on Fox News and the Travel channel. I test recorded 4 other channels that were not Discovery channels, and had no issues.

Still having the same issue with Fox News