Recordings Look Horrible

The issue is more of the room where the MacBook is being on the opposite side of the house from the router and modem, with no wiring ran yet. I’ve been considering for a while getting a Synology DS218+, and that would be plugged in directly. I just worry about the lower RAM of that canceling out the good that it does by being plugged in.

Hmmm.... but the laptop can move, right? Thats one advantage to having your DVR on a portable server.

As far as the RAM on the Synology, the 218+ model has more than enough RAM, more than Channels will ever use. Channels doesn't use much RAM. I'm running ChannelsDVR on a DS916+ with 2GB RAM. I have many other things running on it, including Surveillance Station recording 24/7 live HD streams from 2 cameras, a couple Docker containers, and various websites. RAM is currently reporting as 63.4% free. I have multiple clients, a minimum of 2 TVs that are on different live channels all day long, and can be doing 4+ recordings, watching recordings, comskiping completed recordings, etc, all without issue.

Yea it can move. I’m not going to move it because it just isn’t a good location to keep a laptop

You could use a pair of HomePlug adapters to give you a point to point ethernet connection between the two without having to run a cable?

I have a similar issue, but only appears to be with NBC (HDHR Prime via Comcast, Nvidia Shield with USB3 storage, hardwired gigabit). I'm pretty confident it's the coax signal from Comcast, as we've seen same issues with their STB (but not nearly as frequent). I've even disconnected the spare bedrooms from the second splitter (first splitter has modem plugged in) to only be our Comcast DVR and the HDHR, and also swapped that second splitter from a 4-way to a 2-way 2.4Ghz.

And particular numbers or data I should be looking for in the logs. I'm going to have Comcast come out and check the lines, but I'd rather have data to backup my claims. I know a previous Comcast tech told us they need to be checked every few years with frost and thawing here in New England.

First thing to check would be the Signal Quality and Strength numbers on my.hdhomerun.com under Tuner Status

I had the same problem with NBC kept breaking up even on my Cable Box ... after some hair pulling it was the Coax going into the bedroom that had a bad connector it was loose tightening it fixed it .. had to crimp it tight.

Thanks, I'll check the first split (but I think I've done that already) and signal quality on the tuner when I get home this weekend.

I got the synology ds218+ setup today. Ran the same packet loss test and didn’t get the n for packet loss but got lots of t’s in there and channels that were previously clear now have all kinds of signal issues

You ran the test from the Synology?

It’s just the tuner test I ran from terminal. Don’t know if I knocked something loose to suddenly ha e reception issues

Channel that previously had no issues now has 71% signal strength, 51% signal quality, and 33% stream quality. Other channels are 100, 97, 100. Since other channels are fine, I'm inclined to think it's something with antenna or otherwise, but it's just weird that there were no issues before I had installed the Synology.