Recordings View

And that is the root behind the frustration with unimplemented feature requests. What to you is just a simple non-trivial addition, actually requires far more hours of work. Not only that, but then you add on testing, bug fixing, porting across platforms, and integration into the current UX, and what you thought would take a day is actually months of work.

Of course, if you want it to be graceful, fit in with the current scheme, and have more than just a text list (list sorting, collapsing/expanding multiple nodes, etc.) then you need to add extra time for that, too. Otherwise, all you get is a hack that only partially works, and can sink your product like a lead anchor.

Remember, if it was trivial and simple, it'd already be there. But good software doesn't happen simply by force of will.

(No, I am not a developer of this software. However, I have developed software, both individually and as part of a larger organization. I am not trying to minimize your request—a feature I too want—but merely trying to explain that your simple request is anything but, and requires much more work and effort than seen on the surface. Everyone wants their own features implemented, and everyone thinks it's a simple affair. The truth is far more involved.)

1 Like

Like I said before having the support for m3u and even playon now it becomes an even bigger problem with this thumbnail view only because Channels doesn't even give you a thumbnail for any of my recording that are from them so I don't even get that much info trying to wade through the hundreds of TV shows I have recorded I get a blank thumbnail with an episode count only. I get many have requests for things they want but to me this would be something that needs to happen sooner for Channels DVR to be able to continue to grow. With these additional options to bring in more and more sources this current way is just kind of broken now with not even having a thumbnail for some of my shows. I'm just very frustrated because I feel it's something that is way over do yet doesn't even seem to be on the radar as such problem.

While it becomes apparent in Channels' interface, this is because your guide source provides inadequate data.

But again, I understand your request. However, there are many requests in the queue. Ultimately, it comes down to this: if Channels isn't working for you, then find something that does. But don't pick your software based upon what you want it to do; choose your software based upon what it currently does.

Yes I get it's because Channels isn't the guide source but it's also Channels providing the option. While I am happy they are allowing more providers the point is it also makes the issue even bigger. It would be one thing if I hacked Channels DVR and added these new options myself but these are options Channels themselves are adding is the point. And I paid for a year of Channels so just moving on isn't really an option and to my point again Channels didn't offer all of these outside providers 4 months ago when I bought it. They added them in after which is leading to my issue being magnified. I get you feel it's my issue but I feel that it's an issue that if it's not taken as a priority will only get worse as more people start using these new options Channels has added.

There is nothing wrong with requesting new features, but your portrayal that the current library views of Channels make it unusable lead me to believe you still don't know how to use the views and are stuck in Tivo mode. I have explained how I quickly navigate 9.000 recordings, with some shows that have hundreds of episodes, and quickly find what I'm looking for in a few seconds. No "waldo" as you call it, and no endless scrolling. You seemed to think my description was about how to find something "to record", which it was not. Its very well organized, just different from Tivo. I used Tivo for years, so I fully understand the view you are asking for.

Your logic that it should be a priority for the developers because they have added more sources since you signed up for a one year subscription??? You don't have to add more sources if you want to stick with what was available when you subscribed.

I think it would be nice to have a list of your shows without the picture as well. Maybe a toggle in the UI to change from tile view to list view.

1 Like

I think you don't understand. I have it right in front of me and can see it only has an option to view with big thumbnails with no show titles unless you want to even scroll more and use the recordings option so you can go one by one and scroll for an hour at a time. So if you have this way that I am missing where you can not have big thumbnails that in turn requires a ton of scrolling if you have over a 100 difference shows recording let me know since you say I must be missing it. No matter how many times you say you don't have a problem with it changes nothing about how Channels tv and movie shows view is setup. Yes with big thumbnails and with hundreds of shows there is tons of scrolling to find the show you want to watch. You obviously like scrolling even though you don't realize you're doing it somehow and that's fine. I like to be able to quickly find what I'm looking for by showing title text and grouping which brings all of the scrolling down from 50 or 60 scrolls to closer to 3. I never said get rid of the big thumbnails so if you love it keep it and don't worry about me and other people wanting an easier option to get though large catalogs. And as far as being stuck in Tivo mode because I want a feature that almost all DVR'S have is a bit strange like it's a bad thing. TiVo's technology is the most widely licensed platform in this space for a reason. And as Channels DVR development adds more sources it does become more difficult to navigate. You say the solution is to just not use them? Why not instead evolve the software to better use them? Wouldn't that make more sense? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder for someone requesting a feature you don't need and for some reason want a fight but you will have to carry on with yourself because I'm done trying to explain why others want an opinion you don't.

You think I have a chip on my shoulder? Do you understand how voting works? Everyone votes for what they'd like to see as the PRIORITIES for new features. We differ on our opinion about priorities.

You did a trial and apparently didn't notice how recordings are browsed, and now want them to add this functionality or you say you can't use the product. You are further blaming this partially on the fact that they have developed additional sources, which you don't have to use. I asked you nicely to explain what you were doing to find a show that was unbearable. I honestly want to know, because I currently have 9,304 recordings and don't find it unbearable to find a show I want to watch. I don't "obviously like scrolling". I just don't see what the big deal is. You go into the best filtered view (there are many... Kids, Recently Added, Recently Watched, Movies, Alphabetical) and then hold the arrow key down and get to where you want to go in a few seconds. No, I don't click the arrow "50 or 60" times. That would be kind of silly.

I never said that Channels should never add any other ways to find recordings. I just fail to see the current methods as an unbearable. What I find unbearable is trying to organize sources and favorites across multiple streaming boxes. So I voted for fixing that first. No chip here. I really don't care if you use Channels or not. I tried to ask nicely to better understand what the problem is and you apparently think that means I have a chip on my shoulder, so good luck with solving your problem.

1 Like

I have explained myself over and over when I didn't even have to take any time on why I want a feature. Unfortunately you have missed most of what I have tried to express. You obviously are against the feature request but unfortunately for you you have no say. Also it looks like many others feel the same as me. I will continue to push and respond for a much needed feature but I won't be responding to you.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, ya'll. We hear ya.

I'm closing this now as this has clearly been discussed to its maximum potential.