[RELEASE] Stream Link Manager for Channels

All instructions are fully detailed on the GitHub repo as covered in the first post:

This looks fantastic. Thoughtful and efficient. Bravo :clap:

Holy mackerel! That's a slam dunk! I'll be creating a lot more now. Thanks to SLM! The possibilities seem endless :slight_smile: :popcorn:

Oh, and another completely-unrelated tip to anyone following along: the Internet Archive is a great resource.

2 Likes

I am getting this error when I try to log in again after I restarted my computer, Docker is running no issues.

Access to localhost was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403

Going to need a lot more info. Please provide the following:

1. What setup did you use? I know you were using Docker, but which path did you take? Please screenshot your setup, including environmental variables. Did you change the port or use the default one? Is something else running on the same port that was not up before you rebooted?

2. Are you on the same machine as the Docker host? localhost only works on that machine. What happens if you use the IP Address or machine name? What happens if you open the link from with the Docker Container?

3. Take a screenshot of the Docker Container, or perhaps all of the Containers. Is there a conflict there? Is it showing that it is up and running?

4. If the Container is up and running, go to the Logs and give me what it is in there? Did it actually start, or did it fail for some reason? If JustWatch was not reachable for any reason when you started the Container, it would refuse to start to protect itself from accidentally deleting everything. Have you tried restarting the Container? Does that make an impact?

Thanks for your response I deleted the first docker and did a second one. I am up and running

A very large update in v2024.09.25.1141 has been released as stable. Here are the highlights:

This has been addressed with the introduction of Special Actions!

* NEW: 'Special Actions` added to bookmark statuses, 'Add Programs', and 'Modify Programs'
* NEW: 'Special Actions' allows the user to select a 'preferred' Streaming Service for a particular Movie or Episode(s)
* NEW: Future proof to be able to add new functions to CSV files, if necessary

I was feeling froggy and Stream Link Manager for Channels now supports Stream Files (STRM)!

This includes the reprocess function that refreshes metadata.

* NEW: STRM (Stream File) support
* NEW: 'Special Actions' allows the user to make a STRM (Stream File) link instead of a Stream Link
* MODIFIED: Reprocess function now takes STRMs (Stream Files) into account

And IMDB was the winner! You can now see that below the description of the program. More so, the box art is now visible, too, for all searched content!

* ADDED: 'Add Programs' area now shows posters and IMDB Score for 'Search' and 'New & Updated'
* MODIFIED: When adding a Movie, can now select Watched/Unwatched status at time of creation

Minor housekeeping:

* MODIFIED: In 'Modify Programs', last selected program now remains after "Finish / Cancel"
* MODIFIED: Many layouts adjustments for 'Add Programs' and 'Modify Programs' to accommodate all of the above

Just in case, I have made a modification. If your internet is slow to come up during a reboot, SLM will loop testing for the JustWatch website until it is able to connect. This actually eliminated the last thing that could cause an intentional exit and dealing with certain timers. Hopefully should make things even more stable in the future, especially for new users.

* MODIFIED: Initialization process now loops on testing engine url (justwatch.com) instead of exiting
* DEPRECATED: 'pytimedinput' is no longer used and has been removed

2 Likes

Absolutely, positively, outstanding achievement. I’m floored. Congrats again! I feel like more CDVR users should know about SLM. It’s quickly obvious how fantastically useful of a tool it is, and your thorough documentation and consideration of every detail throughout, have been really remarkable.

Here’s something I experienced too that I thought would be helpful to share now that we have such manual override control. Using “The Sopranos” as an example I found that the MAX deeplinks, that worked fine on my Mac, didn’t work on tvOS. There, they’d just take me to the show’s landing page in the MAX app, as the FAQ said might happen in some instances.

After tinkering around with different deeplink formats and not getting anywhere, I instead set the series to use AppleTV as its preferred service, because it’s indexed there as a MAX show. And deeplinks on tvOS work perfectly with the TV app. Now, when I select a “Sopranos” episode in Channels, it opens the TV app first, to the detail page for that episode, with just one extra click to play the correct episode directly in MAX, on any device, Mac, iPhone, iPad or AppleTV. Excellent!

I’ve consolidated my ~1500 purchased movie titles and have now added dozens of TV shows too. SLM has been a game-changer for my library, now truly consolidated, finally, in CDVR.

These new features are perfect. Thank you!

3 Likes

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I could use some ideas. The streamlinks created through this great plugin are working fine on my Shield and PC, but I get a "Connection Lost" error message and "Recording Corrupted" when I try to play through an Android phone. Any thoughts?

Maybe more than just at CDVR users. :grinning: I was at lunch today with a couple friends, and we were talking about what is on our “to watch list”. I pulled up a Personal Section in Channels that had several shows I want to watch from different streaming services. They were blown away when I explained how it worked, as one of them had just been lamenting that he can’t see in one place all the shows he wants to watch.

4 Likes

Exactly! I brought it up at a dinner party this weekend too, lol.

There’s always been sites like ReelGood and JustWatch to keep track of our queues. Or “Up Next” on tvOS, for almost everything, except Netflix of course. Now finally with CDVR + SLM we have a single platform that can aggregate our shows and movie collection in a very personalized way. And it’s not just for tracking the shows but it’s also a launchpad to organize and view them, that actually works. My friends were impressed. Suffice it to say that conversation will likely be bringing in new CDVR users soon.

SLM got me really appreciating the stream link format! I’m pretty sure Kodi supports them too. Not Plex though.

3 Likes

I don't think it's you. I'm also having a weird one on Android Mobile where the Stream Links are opening in a browser instead of opening the apps. @anizocani, @maddox, @tmm1, @eric, submitted diagnostics: f6900b08-7d96-45b6-8f74-8cff00a43dad

I know Kodi supports Stream Files, but I haven't been able to confirm if they could actually support Stream Links. Maybe someone who has it could let me know and what would be necessary to support their setup. I don't even want to bother dusting off my Lifetime Plexpass to try integrating anything into that dumpster fire.

I believe I'll make a small demo video, like less than 8 minutes, demonstrating the functionality as a general concept. You know, just adding a Movie, adding a show, doing some of the overrides, showing what happens in Channels... just kind of bare usage stuff. Then, I was also thinking about doing a write-up on Medium and Vocal, more narrative focused about the journey of trying to find and create a unified media solution that just works.

In the meantime, @maddox, how about the next "Channels Update" email highlights some of the community projects like this one, Project One-Click, EPlusTV, Pluto/Plex/Tubi, etc.... I know there is the Community Contributed Projects area on the main webpage, but I don't know how many users (existing or new) ever visit that page or saw the Mastodon post. Looks like the page could use a bit of an update, too, with a lot of great recent additions!

1 Like

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this. I add "Last Week Tonight" on MAX and generate stream links. It pulls in links for season 10 for the entire season. However it only pulls in links for season 11 to episode 16. Season 11 episode 23 is the latest episode. I don't understand why it is not populating episodes 17-23.

See: Troubleshooting / FAQ: I'm able to bookmark a Movie or Show and I know it's on a streaming service I've selected, but a Stream Link still won't generate

If you follow these steps, you'll see:

It looks like JustWatch only has the "Max on Amazon" and "Spectrum" links while missing regular "Max" links from episode 17 onward. You'll have to take it up with them as highlighted in the process above.

1 Like

Unfortunately the AppleTV workaround I mentioned above doesn't work with that season either since JustWatch doesn't list that service offering it. When I tried, it just assigned the same MAX links you got. The AppleTV service only offers S8.

Hopefully with our reports to JustWatch, they will fix these underlying issues.

Thanks @Fofer & @babsonnexus. I'm still getting my head around the potential of this great utility.

I'm really enjoying the new features — this feels so polished.

One thought I had while using it today was whether it would make sense (or if it is even possible) to have the search results show what services the show/movie appears on. I had somebody recommend a couple shows to me today, and say, "They're on Netflix." I just added them using SLM, but the show names were fairly generic names, and I had several options to pick from in the search results. I had to do some searching elsewhere (such as checking the release date and look up the poster art) to make sure I was picking the right ones.

Just a heads up for the stream link lovers out there. We added new Smart Rules to help filter your content, including rules for if TV Shows have stream links.

If you’re managing Personal Sections, these might come in handy:

3 Likes

Earlier, I said (buried in a much larger response):

I did look more into doing this, and it is still very possible, but would be a pretty big POA. I laid some groundwork into the code in case I did decide to pull the trigger. However, I'm also concerned about processing time. Right now, results are fairly instant. To make this happen, basically, for every title, I'd have to loop through and find all its offers and then send that to html, and the webpage has to render that in its own loop. Meanwhile, it is already in a loop of the search results themselves, so it would be a loop in a loop.

I might spend some time kicking it around, but no promises on this request!

1 Like