Remote Shortcut - Specific Channel

It’d be great to program the colored buttons on the remote to specific channels. This would be perfect for my grandmother who loves to watch MSNBC & Golf channel. And I could label directly on the remote.

You mean beyond the existing support?

My understanding is those can only be programmed to “jump to different sections of the app”. I.E guide or live tv. I’m hoping for a specific channel option rather than sections of the app.

So you want those buttons to launch macros, rather than their original purpose?

If that is the case, then Channels itself does not offer that functionality. Perhaps something like a Flirc, may?

It really depends on what kind of universal remote control you're using, what streaming device you use for Channels, and how well (if at all) your TV supports CEC.

I have two Logitech Harmony remotes, and got this working for favorite channels. Here's how I managed it:

In the living room I have a Harmony Companion and Hub, set to control a 78" Samsung TV and 4K AppleTV. It's an older Samsung, so the CEC control isn't great, but with the myHarmony software I was able to program Bluetooth macros for my favorite channels, which I then assigned to number keys on the bottom of the remote. Remember also, that each button can do double duty, one command can be assigned to "short press" and another can be assigned to "long press."

Here's an example for FOX, channel 602, assigned to my 6 key:

In the bedroom I also have a 4K AppleTV, but a newer Sony TV, that offers better CEC and control. Here I use a Harmony 650 remote, for a few reasons, but what I like best is the customizable screen for more commands and favorite channels. These commands get sent via infrared and my Sony sends those commands to Channels on the AppleTV via CEC. I wrote about it here:

Here's what the myHarmony software looks like for this, I just used the built in "Favorites" feature to choose channels, and assign them logos:

It's all programmed via MyHarmony and one could do the same for the four color keys, if they wanted to. I'm using those buttons for other functions though...

2 Likes

Wow :exploding_head: