Remove a HDHR from DVR

Hi.

We have two households using the same network as my parents live in an annexe attached to our house.

I have two HDHR devices on my network and wanted to create two separate instances of channels so they can have their own guide and recordings.

I was planning to set up channels in two docker containers, the problem is that both containers see both HDHR devices.

Can I limit each instance of Channels DVR to only use 1 HDHR.

Dont want to go down the separate network route if avoidable.

Thanks

Remove the guide provider.

Or, stop using host networking in docker. Then Channels DVR Server cannot discover the HDHRs.

Manually add them via IP. Manually connect the clients to Channels DVR Server via IP (because discovery won’t work with this either).

Ensure you’ve done the legwork with your router to ensure IPs don’t change for devices by using the DHCP reservation feature.

1 Like

The way I have my 2 DVRS running is the 2nd DVR gets the M3U and Guide data from my main DVR ... That way they can share the same tuners when watching or recording same channel but not share recorded media/passes.

Thanks

@Edwin_Perez when i only had a guide assigned to one in the past it created problems for me with not being able to record.

@maddox Sorry if this is a stupid question but what alternative docker network config would I use to prevent them from being discoverable? This may be the easiest way.

Thanks - I have a basic understanding of this.

I do not however understand which network option will allow me to add the HDHR via IP whilst not allowing the HDHRs to be discoverable.

Host mode

Thank you - will give it a go!

Okay - so the container is set to host mode but channels DVR automatically finds and lists both my HDHRs.

The container should not be set to host mode. If you do not want it to see the HDR units. Then you can add them by IP.

You want to use the bridge network
" When you install Docker Engine it creates a bridge network automatically. This network corresponds to the docker0 bridge that Engine has traditionally relied on. When you launch a new container with docker run it automatically connects to this bridge network."

drop the --net=host in the docker run command to use the bridge network

Sorry @mdscarrott I got it my wires crossed and told you backwards :frowning:

And when you run it using the docker bridge network, if you get an auth timeout the first time logging your DVR into your account from the Welcome sceen, see this post and the replies (Channels DVR on docker - #24 by chDVRuser)

And if you need to remove an HDHR tuner from Channels DVR that you added by specifying it's IP address see this topic (Cannot remove HDHomeRun from source menu - #37 by chDVRuser)

This was all very helpful - thank you all.

I have created a new docker container in bridge mode an it does not list the hdhr so that is good, I will add one manually.

My question now is how do I add a second dvr as it will be at the same IP as the first one or can I just change the port? Can you specify the port when adding to a client?

Advice appreciated - thanks again

Yes, on your second docker container, just map it to another port.
I use -p 8089:8089 and -p 8189:8089.

I just add the port where it asks you which IP address your DVR Server is
Like 192.168.1.3:8189