Request Skip Commercial Button auto dissolve after a few seconds

Yeah the video would help. Could you email it to [email protected]

That's super weird. The button should go away after the commercial break ends. And clicking it should jump through the commercial break, thus, removing it. It sounds like it doesn't think it's in a commercial break. But entering a commercial break is HOW it appears.

its does disappear after the commercial ends, What I'm trying to say is you should adjust the coding so that the button disappears after a second or two when the commercials start. Just in case the user decides not to click the button And would rather have the progress bar reappear so you can skim through the commercials. Otherwise the button remains on the screen during the whole commercial segment.That issue is more of an observation/annoyance.

The other real issue I have is the button doesn't do what he needs to do when I click it. The button bounces to except the click but never skips commercials.I emailed the video.

so one observation and one issue

A good example of this is News recordings. The auto commercial detect does not work well. And I'm usually left of manually skimming through the commercials

OK, for 1. it's working as intended then.

I understand what you mean though. The intended case is that if it disappears then you miss the opportunity to skip the commercial. What's a good timeout for you might be different for someone else, so it's tough to come up with something. So for now it stays throughout the whole commercial break.

This is my fault for combining two issues into one thread

If there is a commercial playing I always want that button there as an option. I don't want it to auto disappear. Just my vote.

So now the sequence is .....when the commercial skip button comes up I now have to hit the back button make the skip button go away in order to see the progress bar

Yep, the menu buttons dismisses it. This is a common tvOS pattern.

It’s early days, the feature has been shipped for 6 hours :grin:. We’ll iterate on it for sure.

@maddox Please provide a way to turn this off completely. It is distracting when it detects a phantom commercial, and even when it properly detects a commercial, I can’t check if the timeline looks like the commercial end timeframe looks reasonable without dismissing the dialog.

I’m happy for those who requested and have now received this new feature, but please don’t force this dialog on all.

I’ve confirmed that the button takes no action when selected via a harmony remote. It works as intended with the Siri remote.

Very odd. I’ll be looking into it.

I have emailed a new video showing that Button doesnt go away after the show returns

+1 This feature is annoying. Please add a setting to disable this feature or make it auto-hide after 2 seconds like damcck recommended. Using Harmony Remote with ATV4 as well. I have never needed the popup to skip commercial in the past, just click FF.

Edit: Using Harmony remote the button doesn’t actually do anything. I still have to click FF to skip commercials.

If we're now voting:

My wife and I both LOVE the commercial skip button! There can be little doubt that when it works right it is much nicer (and intuitive) than doing the double tap FF. Admittedly, it is easy to imagine times where it could be problematic (commercial detect can get it wrong on occasion), so it would be nice to be able to perhaps make it appear/disappear (toggle) with a tap (instead of a click) of the Siri remote. In other words, PLEASE keep the feature, keep the click to activate it, but allow a skip box toggle by just touching the touch pad on the Siri remote.

You can press the menu button to dismiss it

but for shows like sports or news with commercials were the detection has gone wrong you now get a button pop up in the middle of the show that doesnt go away... interrupting your program, and now you have to click the remote to remove the pop-up to continue enjoying your show. This is why i suggested a auto dissolve timer if you dont click the skip button. If the commercial detection was %100 perfect then i wouldnt need to bring this request up.

plus the button doesnt work with the harmony remote so i havnt been able the enjoy the cool feature it offers at this point. not sure when the fix will be released.

So it sounds like an auto dissolve with the option to make it reappear by tapping the touchpad or some other button... And of course getting it to work on the Harmony remote. I would definitely still prefer this option over the double tap FF due to the double tap tending to be a little clunky much of the time (maybe the only feature that works better on my Harmony remote than the Siri Remote - which is what we use for Apple TV).

What a wonderful idea. I can just hit the menu button when it shows up in the middle of a show. Since neither of you guys have bothered to reply to my request to have an option to turn this off, I’m going to make it disappear by not renewing my annual subscription next month.

For those of you who will chime in to ask why I posted this, rather than just going away. I’m upset and this post is therapeutic. I was an early supporter of Channels DVR. In my effort to help it along, I bought all of the apps (iOS, AppleTV, Android and FireTV), even though I only use the iOS and ATV and posted issues I found on all these platforms. Channels was always compelling for me as it was just so much easier to watch recordings than on DirecTV. Bye, bye.

I will ask why, after being an early adopter, you would walk away after not getting a reply after just five days. Ask them again. Make your case.

This feature is less than a week old. It’s early days. As I said at the top of this thread, we’ll iterate on it like we do with everything.

2 Likes

Personally, I was delighted when I saw the new skip feature. It has worked almost flawlessly with my Siri remote. However, last night during a movie I had recorded on my local CW channel it detected a commercial when there wasn’t one. The button hung around for quite a while before it went away. Even so, the huge benefit, for me, is well worth the very minor annoyance of having the button show up when it shouldn’t. I’m not trying to build a library I just don’t want to watch commercials so having it on my screen for a few seconds is no big deal. I had been using an RCA remote to try to skip commercials and sometimes it would work and sometimes it didn’t. This seems much more reliable so far.