Salt Remote: Apple TV Remote Alternative

I just bought one today. Let everyone know how it works when I get it. Anything is better than the original remote. If it works like its suppose to I'll go back to my Apple TV.

I really wish the Sofabaton was available in the UK. I have a Harmony on the main TV but these sound like they would be ideal for other TVs in the house. I have a Salt remote but it of course can't take advantage of most of the recently added button assignments. I've tried CEC with my 2014-ish Samsung TVs but it's flaky at best and buttons like Channel up/down aren't supported.

Hereā€™s a great alternative to the Salt remote for us in the USA. I ordered 2 myself to start with.

Just received my actual Salt remote from Switzerland today. Wish Iā€™d seen the cheaper US version first.

The OneForAll Streamer available at Best Buy and Walmart is even cheaper and seems to do more than both of them. I paid $16.67 for one of mine and $19.99 for the other.

How so? It's only IR and doesn't do macros. Makes it useless for anyone with a BT remote and anyone that has a projector with two step turn off. Manually turning the system on and off is so last century.

I'm waiting on a cheap auction for the Logitech basic smart remote. Will find a used one for under $30 shipped.

Was that directed at my comment? I was referring to the Salt remote that the prior post referenced again. It is also IR only. I was just saying that the OneForAll seems to best the Salt and is a lot cheaper. Neither is Bluetooth.

I picked up one of these from Best Buy today and Iā€™m impressed. Itā€™s going to replace my Harmony thatā€™s confusing for my 7 year old son (mostly because it always gets stuck in Help mode from tossing it across the room to each other). I now have a curbside pickup for 3 more tomorrow. Love how easy the remote is and the fact that the buttons are backlit. Sold my Function remotes for even money to a friend.

Whatā€™s the difference though between the 2 models WalMart has $16.88 and $24.99 (other than the WM after the model number on the cheap one) and the Best Buy version for $25?

The only difference is that the Best Buy one has a key for Amazon Prime and the Walmart one has the same key for Vudu. Neither of the keys works with an Apple TV for those functions so no difference on an Apple TV. You can program them with macros following the instructions that come with it. But I didn't find a way to reliably program them to start those apps on the Apple TV. So I just don't use the keys. Theoretically you should be able to program those keys like the other keys on the remote (not macros), but I couldn't get that to work and even called the company support. They told me it should also work, but no luck on mine. But without those keys, its still the best remote for the Apple TV and my wife likes it so the over $500 worth of Harmony Elite and Caavo remotes stay in the closet in favor of these guys!

Awesome! I picked up three more today. I even got one for my mom. Best Buy price matched the $16.88 Walmart price for me so I got the difference back on my credit card. Excellent remote for the AppleTV. The only thing that would be better is if I could use the channel up and channel down to scroll through the guide faster but thatā€™s not a dealbreaker.

You can use the channel up and channel down buttons to page up and down in the guide. You need to program the remote to do that. By default, it programs all they keys except the volume up/down and mute keys to control the Apple TV, and those three to control the TV. The result is most of the keys don't do anything since the Apple TV has no functions for those. I programmed my TV remote to do what I wanted (Sony), and then programmed the One for All to learn the Sony remote on the keys that I was interested in using. I have the red power button programmed to be the Guide, the star for Live TV, and the circular back key as Last Channel. I have channel up and down as channel up/down. Where my plan failed is I can not get the 4 function keys to learn a remote key. They seem to only allow macros of already programmed keys which doesn't help. For example, I'd like to make one of them the CC key since I turn that on and off quite a bit.

Very interested in how you program it to do guide, Live TV, and last channel. I know I can teach the remote what I want to do but I donā€™t have a remote programmed that it can learn from. Would you be kind enough to help in anyway that you can so that I can make my remote function similar to yours?

Take a look at the CEC remote thread on the community that explains how to get your TV remote to control these things. I have a Sony x900. I adjusted the settings in Channels DVR app to coincide with the colored function keys on the Sony remote... and the Channels keys I think is now a default with CEC.

Once you have your TV remote working the way you want to control things in Channels via CEC, then simply follow the instruction that came with the One for All Streamer to "learn" a key. You then point the put in the key sequence in the One for All to address the key you are programming, and aim the two remotes at each other and then hit the key on your TV remote. Just don't reprogram the keys you need on the One for All - D switch, volume up/down, power, home, back arrow, etc. I only programmed the keys that did nothing with the out of the box Apple TV remote configuration... which is the ones I mentioned - channels, star, red power, and last channel keys.

I'm a little confused between the different remotes being talked about.

Are any of them able to turn off the Apple TV and television?

Are any of them able to change the channel while watch live tv?

I'm looking for a remote for an older family member and am trying to find something as close as possible to watching traditional cable.

Check out this remote. Itā€™s amazing and easy. I bought 3 and a forth for my mom.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for-all-streamer-remote-black/6337295.p?skuId=6337295

Walmart has it for $16.88 too I believe.

Thanks, Iā€™ll have to set my Harmony up with the TV you used and use that to ā€œlearnā€ my new remote. Thanks for all the help.

Found my original LG remote. Was able to learn the Recordings button as * however, my LG channel buttons donā€™t seem to work with CEC as I get a message on the TV saying ā€œOnly available in TV inputā€ so that sucks but at least I can access my recordings.

The One for All Streamer available at Best Buy and Walmart can do what you want. You do have to program it to do so however. The default Apple TV configuration will turn the TV on and off without any problems assuming the Apple TV is also setup correctly. You can get the channel up/down, Guide, Live TV, and Last Channel to work by using the "learn" capability and reprogramming keys on the remote to follow your TV remote's (in my case Sony x900) or a Harmony or something. I use the red power button on the remote as Guide since its otherwise not needed, and the * key for Live TV.

Just curious how the remote learns to the change the channel when the remote that comes with the tv (in my case an LG) can't turn turn the channel within the Channels program.

Have you tried to configure the TV remote to use CEC to control Channels? There is a long thread about that. That is what I did with my Sony remote.

My LG TVs canā€™t control the tv channels either. Just can do the color buttons. Itā€™s a LG limitation not the AppleTV, Channels DVR, or Remote