Samsung TV Plus for Channels

Yes, just use the relevant URLs from here:

I'm using the us.m3u8 and us.xml ones and they're working fine.

2 Likes

it works! thank you!

Got the docker version installed but it won't load any channels. One thing I notice vs. docker stirr and pluto: copy the full local URL ending in playlist.m3u into a browser and I get a dark player-like window in Safari with a centered arrow pointed right and a line through it.

When I try to same with this Samsung docker source, I get this line of text...

Error: Extra data: line 1 column 4 (char 3)

I also just tried this one (to bypass the Docker option): Index of /SamsungTVPlus/ but getting 404s when doing the same with those source strings and 0 channels when using the US strings in Channels Settings. EDIT: now this is working and offering 198 channels but I'd love to get the Docker version going instead. That DryBar channel is terrific!

Made a few more efforts and seeing this when I update the Source and XMLTV entries in Channels Settings...

SamsungDockerError

A search for that error message led to some matches... that SEEMED to imply switch http: to https: might fix it. So I did and it did not... instead giving me this error...

TLShandshake

Anyone got this Docker version to work successfully (now) on Synology? If so, any suggestion to the above? I'm sure that I have the right (blurred in the pics) address. I can go to the address to see the 2 text lines offering me playlist and guide data xml.

Getting 0 channels with this:
samsungtvplus_nodocker

How does this compare to your settings?

custom_channels

If you were asking me, that's how mine looks except what you have marked as "not docker" is my docker result: 0 channels. The direct option is working for me but I would rather have the docker version working just like Stirr and Pluto.

We've learned that the docker version of Samsung+ offers zero advantage over just using the direct URLs from i.mjh.nz. The docker is merely passing along the same m3u and the same XML file, without massaging or inserting any additional metadata. It was created merely as a test to learn how to make docker containers. In fact, all the docker method for Samsung+ does, is add another variable where something might go wrong.

I'd advise just using the direct URLs. They work.

2 Likes

How exactly do I add?

On the Channels web page in the Settings tab click "Add Source" then select "Custom Channels". The make the entries look like this.

Fantastic! Getting guide data only for only about 7 hours. Is this normal?

2 Likes

Yes. Par for the course with this particular source.

1 Like

Is it just me or has guide data gone stale? I am seeing the same thing with both the direct link and the Docker container.

1 Like

same here. not just you. lost guide data.

1 Like

I forced a download based on your statements and then checked and am up to date.

1 Like

Did all that also to no avail. Seems it fixed itself now with no intervention from me. Go figure.

1 Like

These services don't seem as reliable as broadcast TV or cable over fiber

2 Likes

Given that these are essentially homebrew scrapes of free services, not developed nor intended by their providers for this sort of 3rd party integration, that doesn’t feel like much of a surprise.

2 Likes

Yes, what Fofer said. These are freebies that we're just sponging off of, for lack a way of saying it nicer.

You get what you get and enjoy it while you can. I have no illusions or expectations beyond that. I merely confirmed psperry only so that he knew he wasn't the only one affected. And similarly, I can confirm that it resolved itself, so if the link maintainer is reading this, thanks!

2 Likes

How is this different than an antenna? They make plenty off advertisements in both cases and at least we don't have to watch the commercials :-}

3 Likes

This is tv stations through the internet. Antena well. . . is not through the internet. Sorry I couldnt resist.

Us skipping the commercial defeats the main reason they make the content.

OK. All these online free streams on Channels. Samsung (SS), Pluto, Stirr, etc. Are free to view over the internet in a linear format. They all have advertisements (how they make money). However they are only intended to be viewed through their own native app. That is their right, its their content. They may or may not give you ability to DVR. Perfect example it Plex TV. All users can view the stations. But only premium users are allowed to have some DVR capability in their sotware.

Channels is bypassing this. We are taking those streams and viewing their live content outside of their app. Then skipping their commercials. Which probably violates their TOS (Not a lawyer). I THINK its not criminal agaisnt violation of the law unless be break a encryption or DRM (Still not a lawyer). I dont know about if its legal civily (Did I mention that I am not a lawyer). These companies have yet to take major actions to stop the community.

So these m3u files and epg files are made by community members (who may or may not be part of channels community). They are scraping all the data from the internet then neatly organizing it into a text file that Channels and other video files can use. They break sometimes. Usualy because something in the source info has changed. I usualy dont complain or look into it until it exceeds 48hrs. Because the M3U maintainers need time to fix. They "supposidly" have lives of their own. And they are not being paid for this work.

If you ever want to help out the m3u maintainer on our forum. Donate money to @matthuisman he maintains the a lot of the sources
Untitled

2 Likes

I disagree. None of the online, ad supported, free TV providers make anything. They simply rebroadcast old content. Time-shifting and commercial skipping may present a challenge. But it cuts both ways. I never watched Pluto or any of the rest before I could pull them into Channels. Now I do, and occasionally catch a commercial -- although a huge percentage of the ads I see are Pluto promoting itself. No revenue generation there. I have no idea how they make money. I hope they make a lot. But if they pull the plug, I'm not crawling back to the app. There are other more convenient ways to get the content I need -- some paid, some free.

I realize the TV industry is in the middle of huge change. The big boys have turned to regulation (rebroadcast fees) but I doubt that can last. Too many people have figured out what they're paying for broadcast television. That cat's out of the bag. Maybe that's why huge companies like CBS are dabbling with Pluto to hedge their bets. Hopefully some will respond to the current challenge with innovation and produce more compelling ads that people don't want to skip (ie Super Bowl) or make more compelling content that people are willing to pay for, like the stuff behind paywalls.

Either way, I don't think the answer is to do the current providers a solid and watch the ads anyway or use their crappy paid DVR solution. Just do what you can within the law while everything shakes out. It isn't our job to help them be profitable.