Scheduling Commercial Detection for off-hours

I'm currently running DVR on a NVidia Shield up until recently it's been perfectly fine (I still haven't updated to 9.0.x, running 8.2.3), but I've noticed some stuttering while watching a recording when detection is occuring. Not horrible, but still noticeable. I would assume it would be even worse on a lower powered device, like a Raspberry Pi.

It would be nice to be able to schedule detection for off hours (also maybe a way to override this for certain shows that might record while no one is typically watching TV). Also, if I tell Channels to detect commercials for a show right now (through web UI), it should ignore said schedule and detect right now (or maybe option to do now or wait until schedule). Plex has this option for "Scheduled Tasks", although not sure if Commercial Detection falls into this timeframe.

I have server on Ri4b and comskip set to use 3 cores (max setting)
Never had any stutters on client devices while com skip is running.

You said you have your server on a Nvidia Shield....are you also using it as a client for playback, at the same time? If so, That there is your issue.
That is not ideal setup.
This works best as server -- clients setup model, not server/client -- clients.

1 Like

Yes, I'm using it for both server and client. Although I've never noticed this before, and I have commercial detection set to only use 1 of the 3 cores.

I have thought about moving the server off to a Pi (if they ever come back in stock), or possibly older laptop (not sure I want to invest in a NAS).

Ive had good luck finding Pi 400s in stock for recent projects. If the extra space of the integrated keyboard isn't a problem they are a pretty good deal.

They are sold many places. You can get easy on ebay...if you don't mind paying the inflated prices of course. Seen a few being sold for sane prices, but they go quick. Righ tnow, 2gb ones around $100, 4gb $160, 8gb $200+

With those prices, yo might as well just buy a cheap off lease mini business pc, that would have far better cpu and ram, much more power usage though.

There is some website or service I read about that keeps up to date stock spreadsheet that scraps the stock data from sites, i recall seeing an article about that while back.

Took some time for the Pi to be affected by stock issues though, CanaKit on Amazon had plenty of stock of all models, back in Nov when i bought a Pi4b 8gb model kit for $89. Now the same purchase history link goes to a 2gb model and is many times more the price.
Not sure if this is the right site:'

+1 for anything other than a pi or a shield. 30min HD show, commercial detection in 42seconds. (On a 5yr old NUC). Grab you one off ebay for $250...

2022/03/07 20:30:30.317397 [DVR] Running commercial detection on file 9913 (TV/The Neighborhood/The Neighborhood S04E14 Welcome to the Big Little Leagues 2022-03-07-1959.mpg) 2022/03/07 20:31:13.272491 [DVR] Commercial detection for The Neighborhood S04E14 Welcome to the Big Little Leagues 2022-03-07-1959.mpg finished with 10 markers in **42.955395434s** (7 threads).

LOL.

Tonight I knew we had 3 shows recording at the same time (very rare), so I bounced the Shield 45mins or so before the first one kicked off. Right around when the first of the 3 finished recording I noticed a few stutters (surprisingly the wife didn't say anything). So I've disabled detection for now. Funny, it's been fine for a couple years, just started a few weeks ago.

We did just inherit a laptop (I5-7200U with 16GB) that I just upgraded the wireless on, was planning on giving it to wife as it's better than hers that's dying. Looks like we'll be buying a new one for her soon then. :wink:

Although does detection take significantly longer wih 4k? If so, thinking that lower-end NAS's could also benefit with a scheduled setting. Like I said, Plex has had this for years (unless detection doesn't honor it).

Something like this should work:

Just make sure it sleeps long enough so it wakes up off hours if lower priority doesn't help.