Security for local apps?

Any plans to add security to the server for local apps? For example, if I load channels on a firetv, it can immediately get into settings and make changes that I don't want touched by anyone but me.

Apple clients have a Kiosk mode that disables the settings. Prior to enabling it, you can disable the Trash button. While this feature hasn't made it to the Android clients yet, full feature parity is planned.

I have all firetv apps, no apple tvs. any idea when?

When it's ready.

As referenced from the Android 3.0 announcement:

What’s Not There Yet?

We’re trying to add features as quick as we can, but we want them in your hands as fast as possible. So not every feature made it into this update.
Here are some of the features that haven’t been added yet and are due to come throughout the rest of the year. We’re planning on releasing them as they’re completed.

this is really security by obscurity and requires me to physically force kiosk mode on each device. to me, it would seem more appropriate to make kiosk mode the default and require a pin to escape it.

No way. Perhaps you should tell people to not mess with the settings?

I guess this generally follows the idea that if you don't trust people not to mess with devices in your home and/or network, then perhaps they shouldn't have access to your home and/or network.

The idea of general access to the DVR and its settings is one that is similar and shared across most all cable/satellite STBs.

If you want more fine-grained user access, you can set up a scenario with Kodi, separate users, PIN access, central media database. But I doubt that feature will make its way to Channels soon; there are too many other items in progress at the moment.

It’s just tv man. Where your parents upset when you deleted your fathers silk stallings episodes when you tried to watch something on the Scientific Atlanta 8300?

All jokes aside, I personally don’t want it. Who the f wants to put passwords, restrictions, pick a user, have to pick the other one because you erroneously recorded something on another user because someone changed it, etc etc etc.

Personally, there are numerous things that need to be done before adding complicated user profiles just to watch tv.

Can you tell us more about your situation, what you’re trying to prevent and why?

There's a host of things. People getting curious and playing with settings (wife and kids are both very guilty of it) , changing a setting, messing up the tuner config, deleting videos after they've watched them.

I think this fits into a multi-user feature w/ permissions really, but in the short term, the apps are 'automatically admin' so to speak.