Separate Local Content and Recordings

I've seen a couple threads floating around about this question but no concrete answers. Now that Collections is officially released I thought I'd bring it up again...

Is there any way of differentiating my local content from recorded content? I'd really like to be able to manage this content separately if possible.

1 Like

There isn't. Channels doesn't consider recorded and imported content any different in its library. It's just 2 different ways to build your library.

ok, would love if you'd consider this as an option. I'd like to separate them because my local content tends to be better quality vs recorded contents containing commercials. I just tend to think about them differently. My local content tends to be content I want to keep "forever" vs recordings I tend to watch and delete.

The app already has a "Movies" "TV Shows" and "Recordings" section. I obviously don't know what's all involved with making this happen but it seems like these sections could be configured somehow to make this type of thing happen.

Unless I'm the only one who thinks like this then nevermind..haha

As always...love the work you guys do and continue to invest into this! Thank you!

If you’re worried about deletion, there are options to hide the Trash buttons for imported content.

You can set it in the app, or use Server Side Settings to set it for all your clients.

I was just thinking about that! I think that's probably a good solution

1 Like

I agree it would be nice to have a way to view/manage local content separately from recordings.

It's probably become more noticeable recently because my wife is steadily recording 1000 Christmas movies from various TVE sources now that 'tis the season, while I'm also steadily adding local content. So now when she goes to Movies to try to find her recordings, they kind of get lost and you just have to browse around. You can look at Recently Added and/or maybe Genres and usually find them, but it would be nice if there was an option to simply filter local vs recordings separately.

Is there any way to set a default label for all recorded content that might somehow be used as a filtering option?

Thank you!

There might be a way to do this with smart rules. I’ll check to see if we can and if so, I’ll expose it to the ui.

Then you can make a simple collection that has all those movies in it so she can find them easier. You could even routinely hide them so they only show in the collection and not your library.

I don’t think this is an imported/recorded problem. This is a landslide of holiday movies to your library problem lol. It doesn’t matter which way they were added to your library, it’d be sort of disruptive.

Fortunately there’s a lot of ways to manage your library to handle it.

Thanks for the response - I look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

Keep up the great work!

Yeah @Maddox, even just a filter like this would be amazing!

So how do you hide movies so they do not show up in the library but are only seen in a collection?

In the web UI, have you tried Library > Movies > Title > Manage > Visibility, and setting it to Hidden?

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for the explanation. Just what I needed.

Just chiming in that I'm also looking for a way to differentiate between local content and recorded content. I want to use a smart rule to create a virtual channel for a series which is still producing episodes and dynamically add them to the channel from local content. If I create a smart rule based on the series name, it picks up both the local & recorded episodes for that show. I typically record an entire season of episodes before deleting them from the DVR, however I edit out commercials and move the shows to local content more frequently.

Like the original poster, I consider my local content "permanent" and my recorded content "temporary".

You can use an advanced smart rule import=true

2 Likes

That worked great, thank you.

1 Like

That works perfect for me on Movies! I can create a Collection of recorded Movies by using import=false, or a Collection of my local content Movies by using import=true. That's awesome!

But for some reason it doesn't seem to work for me with Shows. If I create a Collection of Shows using import=true I get no results, and import=false just seems to return everything. Should that filter work on Shows? Or I am just misunderstanding its intended use? Thanks-

1 Like

I will put a fix in the next prerelease. You will need to reindex after upgrading.

curl -XPUT http://x:8089/dvr/database/reindex

Great, thank you!

A while back, I experimented with adding local content. Then some things changed and I removed it from Channels. For months the Settings > Local Content section has been empty.

Today, though, I realized that the content is still in my Channels library. Each item shows the little Disk icon followed by the path to the previously-imported content.

Is there a way to clear this all out so I can start from scratch with imports (but leave my DVR stuff as-is)?

Thanks!

Under the Local Content section, try using the option to Prune Deleted.

1 Like