Server software and sleep mode

Hi devs! :slight_smile:

Please implement sleep mode, when the DVR software isn’t recording anything on Mac and PC. NextPVR uses this feature and doesn’t let the PC be “always on”, which really saves on power consumption.

We will have to see if this is possible on macOS

1 Like

Ok, thanks! Hopefully it will be possible.

I wanted to resurrect this feature request and add a +1.

I’d like to offer as encouragement and evidence that this is an EyeTV feature that works perfectly. My Mac mini sleeps throughout the day but EyeTV never fails to wake and record programs and download guide data.

I can imagine a small delay when one of the UI apps has to send a wake-on-LAN but while the app is active it seems like i would have no trouble bothering the server enough to keep it awake. And, of course, each user can set the sleep mode on their computer depending on whether they accept that small delay as a reasonable trade-off or not.

1 Like

Sleeping the server is not s great idea. See my response from another thread.

i don’t agree that it’s a bad idea… i understand your argument from the other thread but there’s really not a lot of latency involved in waking the server and once it’s awake you can prevent it from going to sleep again quite easily.

as for guide data, maintenance, etc. you can certainly schedule wakeup times to allow you to go off and fetch the guide data and do other tasks. i have my xmltv run set up in cron/launchd and i have a corresponding permanent wake command set up in the power manager to wake up right before the xmltv script fires. despite being duct-taped together that’s been working flawlessly for years with EyeTV.

i am lucky to have a bunch of machines but for the person that installs the server on their one mac which they’ve been letting sleep for years, i think this restriction would be seen as a drawback.

rob

This is how EyeTV and WMC both worked, with good reason: It saves power and lengthens the life of the computer. EyeTV never failed to record, although I did have a task that would awaken the system once per night for a bunch of maintenance tasks.

That being said, it didn’t work well for me for streaming to other devices because the MacMini 2011 did not have WOL implemented well for its ethernet port. Eventually I settled on a solution that involved transcoding and sending to my Plex server on a NAS. That being said, I’ve heard others had success using it with sleep.

To me, this is a good reason to use a low powered NAS or other embedded system.

yeah - i don’t really ever attempt to use EyeTV to stream to iPads/iPhones but i suspect it probably does work OK as i’m able to get in with Screen Sharing even when the machine is sleeping. the appleTV itself is a bonjour sleep proxy machine so anyone using channelsDVR already has the necessary network equipment to let the server wake/sleep…

rob