Set Favorites in the Guide to default startup on Apple TV

For years when starting up Channels on my Apple TV the screen has defaulted to Favorites in the Guide. Of late startup brings up All Channels in the Guide.

My iPhone & iPads default to Favorites in the Guide as before. Only the Apple TV defaults to All Channels.

What can I do to return Favorites in the Guide to the default startup in Channels on Apple TV.

(EDIT: I just enabled Favorites, and don’t see it as a choice in Start Up, so I’m not sure what the answer is. Mine always starts in the last collection I was in, I believe.)

Go into Settings > General > Start Up Section, and pick what you want.

I don’t have Favorites showing as a choice, but I think that’s because I disabled Favorites (I use Collections heavily).

(That’s on the iPad, which I have in front of me right now, but I think it is similar on the Apple TV)

In the past there were fewer Startup options. I had it set to Guide and it always opened in Favorites in the Guide. As you pointed out now there are many Startup options, but no Favorites option. Selecting Guide defaults to All Channels.

I don’t remember actually setting it to Favorites in Guide. It just went there. I presume that it opened with the previously used location. Now always starts with All.

This occurs only in the Apple TV app. iDevices work as they used to.

1 Like

The Start Up section setting has no bearing on what channel collection is selected at start.

This is instead done with a sticky setting in the background. Whenever you change your channel collection, it remembers it. So the next time the app starts, or you go back to On Now or Guide, the right channel collection is focused.

So you are saying it's not doing this anymore?

Could you describe anything else about the environment in which you're seeing this, as this is not something that has been reported before and is honestly some of the oldest code int he app.

Defaulting to the last used channel collection is what I expected. Not doing that now. No matter how many times I select (and remain with) Favorites in the Guide, leaving the app and returning brings up All Channels. Even after a hard restart of the Channels app.

Looking for solutions I have hard restarted Channels, restarted Apple TV, removed the Channels app and reloaded it. Continues to default to All Channels.

Again, this is only for the Apple TV app. iDevices work as expected with Favorites as the default.

I don’t see anything else that is unusual. I can post screen shots.

Apple TV Channels 5.9.1
tvOS 17.5.1 [21L580]

Please submit diagnostics from the app after you experience this.

Submitted... I think.

Not meant to hurry, but did the diagnostic get through?
It seemed too easy.

Don’t know if it makes a difference but the Channels server 2024.06.11.1941 serves the Apple TV wirelessly from a Mac Mini M2 Pro macOS Sonoma 14.5.

Can you take a video of what you're seeing and upload it? I've tried to replicate the issue on my system and when I last have the Guide set to Favorites, it continues to be on Favorites when I come back. You can upload it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/XBZmu4iplK3OmoWa3f1K

Attempted to upload but link returned: "This file request has been closed, deleted, or never existed."

1 Like

Sorry about that. Here's the updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/MMjICRc053JJpSBPDIfQ

We've been able to replicate this issue and are looking into how to solve it.

Thank you.

I realize that restoring the default startup behavior to show Favorites in the Guide when launching Channels on my Apple TV is not likely a top priority for Channels but It is still a concern for me.

Is there anything else that I can send or do that would further a solution?

Sorry about that. The latest TestFlight beta should have the fix for this.

You can join our TestFlight beta program by visiting Channels — Beta Program from an iPhone or iPad and then downloading the TestFlight app on your Apple TV.

If you do not have an iPhone or iPad please email your Apple ID email address to [email protected] and we can add you.

That worked!

Followed your instructions, installed TestFlight, opened Channels beta on AppleTV. Channels opened (as it used to) to guide with favorites selected. I quit and then opened Channels several more times to confirm that favorites remained the default at launch. It does. Thank you.

Thank you again for Channel's excellent support.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

Sorry we didn’t report the fix back into this thread after it was fixed.