'Show option' to set its default Closed Caption setting

Love the option to set default speed option for each tv show...

Same for Closed Caption? / it's a pain to keep turning on and off between each show.

Would be handy for us oldies to have a setting for closed captioning...
I want it on for news shows / thick accents / during fast playback speed / etc
I don't want it on sports

Perhaps:
On
Off
Current State -> the default -> for existing users that want to control always themselves

Thanks for the suggestion. This has been added to the iOS and tvOS version as of the latest TestFlight beta. Be sure to update to the latest pre-release of Channels DVR Server as well.

1 Like

Wow you rock. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but downloaded server and see the option now...

Yeah, this is great! I can finally disable CC's on game shows! (Trivia game show CC's are all spoilers.)

Doh, just realized this probably needs a new android client beta update?

Any way we can spread this joy to Android clients at some point?

Android...
bueller?

This feature actually already works though its setting is not exposed in the UI in the released version. If you mark a show in the Admin console to always / never show captions, this will work as expected.

In the latest Beta (v2024.07.22.1007), this is also exposed in the Show settings:

Hi:
thanks for responding. I'd love for this feature to work!!!

I've been setting at the server side in anticipation for some of my shows, but it never worked on the client. I did try the latest beta client (I do now see the show option for setting captions - nice) and updated to latest beta server. However, the client still does not respect the setting (I set a server show's options for captions off, but when I start the show the captions are still on).
FYI, I am using an old Nvidia shield Pro for the client.

Even tried beta 7.22.1007 on my pixel phone, it shows captions for a show that I have it configured for off on the server show options. Any ideas?

I think I see what's happening here - there is a bug where if you have closed captions enabled globally but disabled on a show, we end up taking the global setting. I'll fix this soon

Thank you for looking into this issue.

Give v2024.07.23.0928 a try, if it doesn't fix this issue please let me know

1 Like

I didn't have a ton of time to test, but I did try a couple times between shows configured with captions on and one off and it worked each time. Thanks again for your help.