Sluggish forward/back/skip commercials

I have other TVs with FireSticks. They don't have the problem. All use WiFi (not in the 5 GHz band). After that realization I was able to fix the problem.

The only TV that was wired used the Amazon FireStick network interface module. I removed the Amazon wired interface module and instead used WiFi on the poorly performing FireStick. The 2.6 MHz band WiFi speed tested 80 Mbps and the 5 MHz band was 90 Mbps. Previously, the wired network speed had tested at 100 Mbps. The FireStick then behaved well when fast forwarding commercials, etc.

So something is going on in the Amazon wired interface module. Perhaps it is buffering? I had purchased the wired interface module to presumably speed up my network connection to the FireStick. That was a waste of money.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

1 Like

Just to add something to this discussion. I recently updated my Channels DVR from a Windows 10 Core i5 PC to a Windows 11 Core i7 with double the RAM and a much more recent (9th gen) processor.

My clients are Nvidia Shields. The 30-second skip and fast forwarding worked instantly on my old setup even though my PC was taxed more (I also run a Blue Iris server on it). The 30-second skip on the new server has a long pause (2-5 seconds) when skipping. Clients and connections are still the same. Speedtest shows to channels DVR shows 991 Mb/sec and latency under 2 (jitter is under 1).

Not sure why it worked so well under the prior setup when all I did was replace the server to something more powerful.

A couple of questions for those in the know....

1. Is there anything else on the server that could be causing he delay issue? NIC settings, etc.?
  2. What does the Buffer Protection setting on the client do? I think it is 30 seconds by default, should I bump this up to be longer? Or is this setting only for live shows?