Sony Android TV and FireTV users

Don't see how that would help for Channels as it has no way to set use external player like Emby did.

U can find the MPV apk on apkpure or such sites. I can't attach APK file here.

I just installed it from the Playstore on my phone but I don't see an option for a beta.

I can pull it myself and sideload it.

There is a way to stream from the server just like it did with VLC. I can also play directly from the tuners.

use apk from here: 2020-01-30-alpha for Android
https://apkpure.com/mpv-android/is.xyz.mpv

Wow! That would be a great option!

The full release from the Playstore is that date.

1 Like

Same apk then.

1 Like

Do you have Tuner sharing enabled on that TV? If not, that may explain why it only happens with live TV and not recordings. By default, the clients will get live TV directly from the tuners themselves. However, when Tuner sharing is enabled, all streams are first routed through the DVR server before reaching the client. The flow of the feed with Tuner sharing mimics that path the stream takes when viewing recorded content, and this change could alleviate the issues seen when viewing live TV.

(Of course, if you already have Tuner sharing enabled on this client, the whole argument is moot.)

1 Like

Ok, well I can test it. It was a data point that @eric asked to test but I didn't install it because it wasn't compatible in the Playstore.

Not quite. The con to using it in emby is NO buffer support (FF, Pause , RW) and the server had no way to know if the stream status, closed or not. So, it would lock tuners until u ran out and restarted the dvr server to released the lock

It happens either way.... Tuner sharing on or off. TVE comes from the DVR no matter what.

Understood, then I digress

the mpv mobile app it is not designed for the ATV interface so that is why is flags not compatible, as many app do. they are meant for phones with small touch screens.

Your millage may very if u try it on a tv.

Works great on Shield is all i can a test to.

Since @CubsWin is only experiencing the issue in a more limited environment, their response and experience could aid in more narrowly finding a unique data point to drive the discussion.

Also, to aid in ensuring each new test or option tried happens with the same base environment, one should probably force close the Channels app and clear its cache before running new tests. This way everything starts from the same blank slate internally.

1 Like

I'll have to confirm later today when I get a chance, but I think I have it enabled. The problem occurs with all sources though, even TVE, so if what @jpblanch75 said is correct that TVE always comes from the DVR, then it wouldn't seem to matter. I will check it out though.

1 Like

All my tests have been done with one device in a narrow environment. The reason I bring up other devices is because I don't want the same answer I got earlier... "It's a Sony problem and we can't buy a TV".
This is narrow-minded and I'm pointing out that it happens on other Android based devices.

I know that and that's my point..... It's not designed for Android TV.

I have it playing now. I played with the debanding option and I have to keep it disabled for it to work. It's working now so we'll see what happens, what I can say is that using the VLC player, the picture is much cleaner/clearer than using this player or Channels. The edging and text are much cleaner, the ticker and motion is silky smooth as well. I was surprised at the difference honestly.

VLC Pro:
AC3 Pass-through (Surround sound) works great!
1080i de-interlacing is clean and smooth
Overall Video is cleaner (edging and text) and smoother.
No video skips with audio continuing occuring
No TVE buffering no failures
Will make many Android users happier

VLC Con:
Channels Code needs to be reworked to use this video player.

I tested the MPV player on my 2018 Sony TV (XBR-75Z9F) and it is acting exactly like the player used in Channels on my Sony TV. I can confirm the same problems I have been reporting.

Tuner sharing was enabled. I did another test with it both off and on and it didn't make a difference either way. I still get the frequent video freezing. Surround sound is also off by the way.

What is interesting is that if I start a recording, then immediately switch to DVR and watch the recording, it plays back perfectly. But if I watch the program live or delayed from the guide, it will have issues.

It is so funny that you are experiencing the exact same thing i am to a T. I don't understand that either.

One more thing to try that may help to narrow it down: with tuner sharing enabled, set the streaming quality to 8Mbps for your home connection. This will force the stream to go through the DVR, and most likely just remux the stream, meaning the stream contents are untouched, but just repackaged. If this works without error, it will point to the problem being how the video player on your client handles the stream.