Support for Up/Down channels buttons on programmable IR remotes like Logitech Harmony

If the Apple TV hardware and tvOS support IR commands that go beyond replicating the ATV remote, it would really be great if you could cycle up and down through channels using the dedicated channels buttons on a Logitech remote by adding the Channels app as a device in the Logitech setup software. My dad is in his 70s and very set in his ways. I got him to drop DirecTV and go with Sling and Channels to save money. I also set him up with a Logitech Harmony One remote to control everything. He really likes the Channels program guide and ability to pause, but he misses the ability to surf through channels with the channels buttons like with a standard tuner or cable box.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is not possible in tvOS

Here’s an idea about a possible way around this, if it’s allowed by Apple and can be worked in elegantly in the app. Since the Apple TV can be paired with Bluetooth keyboards, would it be possible to have the channels app respond to key presses from a paired keyboard? If so, I think devices like the Harmony could possibly be paired as a Bluetooth keyboard (not 100% sure about that though), and thus you could utilize the number keys to enter channel numbers and up and down keys (or some other ones) to change the channel up and down? I have a feeling tvOS does not permit this type of access to they keyboard commands though, without first bringing up an on-screen keyboard to enter text.

Correct

I have an older Harmony remote that does not properly send a double click. (Can you on the new ones?) Is there any way to change the button mapping? For example, make a single click on the right arrow go to the next chapter (vs skipping)?

I don’t have a Harmony remote, but I believe there’s a way to download the new “Apple TV 4” profile into the older ones. Alternatively, you can also go into the ATV settings to the “learn remote” and map IR commands manually.

See Expanded Media Keys for IR Remotes for more details.

You were absolutely right. It was still using an older profile. Thank you!!

1 Like