Synology Channels Server in 2024

I'm looking to buy a NAS to put Channels on. I also plan on running that docker container that gets the Fubo channels into Channels. Is the Synology DS1522+ a good one to use or is there a better one?

I already had a 723+ and it seems to be working perfectly so the 1522 should be the same

Should work fine.
The newer Synology Plus models use AMD Ryzen CPU's, so will not be able to utilize hardware transcoding in Channels DVR.

Is that an issue where I should try and find a different model or is it not that big of a deal and software transcoding is OK?

1 Like

Depends. See

You may need to transcode if watching on the web/Browser interface or even Channels for Mobile, iPad etc or Phone on WIFI when at home. Software transcode will work if you have enough CPU power and not taxing it with other duties.
Otherwise a dedicated GPU if that can be added. I don't know what is possible Synology since I use unRAID with an Intel CPU with IGPU. I did it with and Intel i3-3240 (4 core) and couldn't use the built in IGPU but it really taxed the CPU while trying to record 4 TV shows at the same time.

Recording doesn't transcode and shouldn't tax your CPU.

Synology devices don't have a GPU. You can't connect a monitor to them.

1 Like

OK. It sounds like it won't be that much of an issue for me. I plan on watching at home or downloading the video beforehand to my iPad to watch without an Internet connection at the gym. I'll be watching either on an iPad or Apple TV. So I would think they would support the original formats.

1 Like

"Recording doesn't transcode and shouldn't tax your CPU."
Your right it doesn't but you can still see the CPU hits while it is saving the files and Channels is running in a Docker using some CPU while the server is also using it.

What hits the CPU are guide downloads, comskip and software transcoding.

My server runs headless, no monitor, but can still add a GPU to transcode or pass thru to a VM.
Just didn't know if you can add one to Synology or not.

two companies to keep an eye on if you can wait for a CPU with quicksync

zimaboard and Aoostar.

both make nas and have new models coming out soon that will be worth considering.

Probably a post for the Playground forum, but you can add a GPU to some Synology's.
I did this and added an old nVidia card I had knocking about to my DS1821+, I now have GPU hardware transcoding available in Channels-DVR running in a docker container (protip: use the nvidia channels docker container)

I can confirm that it works, and is detected by Channels under the Hardware Transcoder Probe check in Channels settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/16vl38e/guide_how_to_add_a_gpu_to_synology_ds1820/

2 Likes

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks. I think you need the bigger one to do that though. The PCIe port is different in them.