To Docker or not to Docker? (Pros and Cons)

Yes. The network websites will just see it as 2 different browsers/computers trying to stream.

@Maddox if you are bored and want to take a peek, I just submitted my logs.

Agreed. That's why I used Docker on my Linux server along with all my other containers.

1 Like

Yep. I put it off for a long time but finally moved everything over to Docker. It truly is easier once you get your head wrapped around it. Plus, I have all my Compose files and data backed up so if I ever have a hardware failure, re-deploying will happen in seconds.

1 Like

Docker is a pain if you ever have to add External Media libraries from another source... Windows is much easier. With windows you have access to files on your entire network ... with docker you need to redo the container and add any other media paths.

I have found that a Windows or Linux install is the way to go if you plan on using Channels DVR with other media besides just recording.

It's not really a pain once you understand the architecture. It is true that Docker is not wide open like Windows, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

EX. If I want to add media from a NAS ... Using Windows simply add the Share.. No need to stop DVR .. using docker you have to shutdown the container so DVR is not available ... create a mount point with the share and recreate the container with the mount point.

Granted, Docker is definitely not for the novice, but I have my Channels and Plex containers configured with access to each other's libraries. And I am hardly a Docker expert.

Yep. That's the process. Not really an issue for me because that's not something I do often.