Tuner over VPN

Hi, I have a tuner at my home on the east coast that id like to feed into my ChannelsDVR in California. I have a site to site VPN setup (I have static IP's) but the live tv is god awful. The stream will load but then gets very pixelated and freezes. At first i thought it was just a distance thing but i've read others who've had success over VPN and wondering what I 'm doing wrong.

1 Like

While it technically is doable, OTA streams over the internet is rarely ever a good idea. Unless you have awesome upload speeds at the site where the tuner is, and a low latency connection between both locations, you are going to have a quite poor experience.

Seems to work for me via IPSec over 5G or pub WiFi, but I also have 375 mbps symmetric. Works great when rain fade knocks out the satellite feeds at the local pub and I AirPlay the game to one of the pub TVs. Often get free beers from other patrons the rest of the game.

I tried via Tailscale on pfSense and it comes through choppy. I assume it is related to user space netstack sub-routing implementation of Tailscale/WG on pfSense, which comes with a significant performance disadvantage. Kernel vs. netstack subnet routing & exit nodes ยท Tailscale

Perhaps switch to IPSec with HW crypto enabled vs whatever VPN client/server you are using now.

In a former life (~12 years ago), I would stream live football games from my SlingBox at 35,000 feet. Other passengers had absolutely no idea how I was getting live games on my iPad while aloft and the inflight infotainment system was not working.

If you put a channels dvr server at the remote location you can do this:

It works very well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.