Tuner Unreachable error

I have been running Channels DVR for many months and has been very stable. I run the server on a Mac Mini, and have 2 x HDHRs, several TVE sources, etc. Several days ago I start getting "Tuner Unreachable" errors on Apple TVs in the house. This has never happened before and I haven't made any configuration changes in months. It will do this for a while and then be back to normal later. Any ideas on what I can look to for a potential clue as what the problem is?

Update:
The HDHR app has no problem seeing the two quatro HDHRs and playing programs. Also, the Mac running the server doesn't seem to show the programs when running the Channels interface directly on the Mac. So seems that Channels can't see them, but they are functioning because the HDHR app can see them fine.

1 Like

I've been having this issue with my YouTube TV TVE channels off and on lately, too. Though in my case, it seems to have started after I moved Channels from my Mac Mini to my Synology NAS and then back the Mini after a few weeks. This will happen on both iOS and the Apple TV app. Looking at the activity status on the admin page when this happens, it doesn't even show that client is trying to watch a channel. Forcing the app closed and reopening seems to fix it so far.

It seems to be intermittent, but it seemed to do it most often when I would try to watch local channels through TVE. The local channel wouldn't load, and then after that other non-local TVE channels wouldn't load either. The activity status wouldn't show anything. Forcing the app closed seemed to fix it. Rescanning the non-local channel seemed to fit it sometimes too. I've since disabled the local TVE channels, but this still happens occasionally.

Things to check and consider would be;
TVE channels only?
HDHR channels only?
Do the Apple TV Channel apps have tuner sharing enabled?

That app talks directly to the HDHR tuners and doesn't go through your Channels DVR server.

What does that mean?

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Provider - Spectrum

My thread seems to have been diverted, but will try to bring it back to the original subject. After more diagnostics, I found that my two Apple TVs will show Tuner Unreachable for any HDHR channels if I do not set them to Tuner Sharing enabled. I have never turned this on in the past, and now it will only work if I enable it. I have 8 tuners and there is never a situation that a tuner isn't available with the recordings that I have setup. Any ideas what changed here? I do not have the Apple TVs hardwired, so given the warning when you enable it, I'd rather it not be enabled but don't have the choice at this point.

You would need to check the logs but it sounds like the ATV cannot talk to the HDHR directly for some reason.

What did you mean by that statement?

1 Like

I sent in a log file. It seems that I can ping everything from my laptop, and the HDHR's are sitting next to the Mac Mini DVR server connected to the same switch. Yet, for some reason the two ATVs can't see the HDHRs but can see the Mac Mini.

My network is an Orbi Mesh. The Mac Mini DVR server and both HDHRs are connected via a switch to one of the satellites. One ATV is connected to the base. The other ATV is connected to another satellite.

This doesn't make sense.

You can disregard this. In my early testing I was having a problem viewing from the browser on the Mac Mini, but that didn't turn out to persist so must have been a fluke.

i've been having this issue lately, quite randomly. it seems to work fine for a few days, then all of a sudden i get "tuner unreachable" when i try to watch anything (i'm only TVE, no HDHR). same exact symptoms, the channels web UI doesn't even show anything as attempting to watch anything. the only way i can get it to come back up is by restarting the container.

1 Like