Turn off new commercial detection?

I think there is an advanced setting in Kodi I can change that will ignore the commercials.

Really quite simple.
Check the Channels DVR log for one of those recordings.
Does it show the new Smart commercial detection being run used?

[ADS] Detected 8 commercial markers in file-559: TV/The Beverly Hillbillies/The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg

Or does it show comskip being run?

[DVR] Running commercial detection on file 559 (TV/The Beverly Hillbillies/The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg)
[DVR] Commercial detection for The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg finished with 8 markers in 18m15.597336362s.

Now look at the recorded file json http://x.x.x.x:8089/dvr/files/559 for the recording and you'll see a block named

"Commercials": [
],

Most likely the Kodi add-on used to access Channels DVR is reading that from the recorded file json.

If the commercial detection setting is off, and you're still seeing "Running commercial detection" in the logs, then that is a bug.

Is that what is happening or not?

What you're seeing in kodi is not relevant.

I will keep an eye on the logs.

Yes it showed commercial detection on at least two ESPN shows in the logs. The commercial detection on the main page and the override section is unchecked and always has been.

Thanks for the help.

Edit...
The logs mention that commercial markers are detected and not that it is running. Sorry about that. I must have another issue not related to Channels. I will keep an eye on the logs. Thanks again.

That only stops comskip from running. It doesn't stop the new Smart Commercial Detection from being used.

Specifically [ADS] Detected # commercial markers in file-# ?
That would be the new Smart Commercial Detection being used.
And that does fill in the Commercials block in the recorded file json

"Commercials": [
],

I'm just not sure if that's where Kodi is pulling it from, but sounds likely since you just started seeing the problem when Smart Commercial Detection was introduced. :man_shrugging:

Not sure what that means. There are several examples of what the logs look like in this thread- which one does it match?

Or just copy/paste what it actually shows in there.

I may have an MCE Buddy leak of some sort getting to files that are supposed to be ignored.

I have ignore folders set for the stuff that gets deleted in a day or two like the local news, sports talk, ect.

The majority of TV Shows get sent through MCE Buddy, to my Plex TV Shows folder, immediately following completion of the recording.

My problem may be that MCE Buddy is messing with the ignored stuff that isn't moved over to Plex, which are the only recordings I watch in Kodi with the Channels add-on. Otherwise, I can't understand how the logs show commercial detection and not show commercial detection is running.

So my theory at this point is MCE Buddy is adding the markers to recordings set to ignore. Or that the new Channels commercial detection just doesn't like me and never works properly in Kodi. The reason I think it may be the former is because the logs don't show the commercial detection actually running, only that it shows markers have been detected.

From the log
"Detected 14 commercial markers in file-8418"

Maybe you haven't caught on to why we're asking you what we have asked.

There is comskip commercial detection that "runs" as a process after a recording is finished which you can control (enable/disable) in Channels DVR.
Does it show comskip being run?

[DVR] Running commercial detection on file 559 (TV/The Beverly Hillbillies/The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg)
[DVR] Commercial detection for The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg finished with 8 markers in 18m15.597336362s.

Then there is the new Smart Commercial Detection which you have no control over and gets used (not run) automatically on some recordings. It doesn't "run" comskip for its results
Does it show the new Smart commercial detection being run used?

[ADS] Detected 8 commercial markers in file-559: TV/The Beverly Hillbillies/The Beverly Hillbillies S01E12 1962-12-12 The Great Feud 2021-12-22-1600.mpg

We have been trying to find out from you which commercial detection it was, and you finally replied with the answer

We've been trying to tell you, that is the new Smart Commercial Detection.

Hope that helps clarify our troubleshooting methodology.

1 Like

Except the two examples that were shared were for channels that do not use the new detection; NBCUniversal and Fox networks do not use the new detection, according to statements from the developers.

Of course, complete/full details were not shared. And there is apparently some third-party shenanigans going on with MCEBuddy and Plex, too, in addition to Kodi.

In order to truly get to the root, full details and a minimal case would be needed, neither of which have been presented.

1 Like

Correct! I am still getting this issue with MSNBC. The logs of course don't show the new Smart Commercial Detection on this channel because it doesn't run on that channel. That led me to believe it was MCE Buddy, but I turned off all commercial detection in MCE Buddy and I still get the same issue.

I can set Kodi to ignore the markers but they are still there. It still remains a mystery where they are coming from.

1 Like

You are not alone. I do not have commercial skip active nor have I ever activated it yet since the new com skip updates now all my recordings show commercial markers and give me a skip commercial button. Seems like there is a parent override on the channels side not the user side.

What device are you using? If I play back using Kodi with the Channels add-on I get markers. I don't have issues using Plex. I am able to have Kodi ignore the markers so it isn't a big deal. I haven't personally seen many complaints. I marked this thread as solved only because it isn't a big deal, although I would like to understand what is actually happening one day just to get the issue off my mind.

I was wondering if the Stable release has this feature yet? If not, I may try that and see if it shows the markers in Kodi.

Whatever the issue is, it coincided with this new commercial detection. Whether that is just a coincidence, I am not sure at this point.

Seems simple to me, but not sure if you agree.

Pick one of the recordings that shows the markers in Kodi.
If you still have the recording in the Channels DVR Library, play it using the Channels DVR web UI player.
Does it show commercial markers?
YES - Channels DVR marked them somehow, investigate
NO - Channels DVR did NOT mark them, investigate other software in the chain to see what did

No markers with web.
Only markers I see are with the Channels DVR Kodi add-on.
Will test more with the Android TV device I rarely use. Pretty sure I tested it and there were no markers but I will double check.

Plex has nothing to do with the recordings in question.

MCE Buddy has the recordings in question's folders ignored. Also, commercial detection has been turned off. MCE Buddy history shows that the problem recordings have not been touched.

Kodi uses the official Channels DVR add-on.

I'm sure you know this, but if the DVR web UI player doesn't show markers, none of the Channels clients will.

1 Like

I didn't know that because I don't use it. Thanks. I have the usual recordings scheduled for about now. I will check it out along with the Android TV and see what is up.

This should be fixed with the latest build.

Were the VEVO channels on Pluto channels where it wasn’t working? I’ve recorded some shows on serval vevo channels in the last few days and none of them have any commercials detected.