TV Episode availability record vs local library?

I'm wondering how Channels decides whether to record a new episode when a local TV library is added.

for instance, I have 3 seasons of a show in my local library and then I add a recording schedule to channels for that show that is for new episodes only. If the local library has the newest episode, does channels recognize that and skip recording a new copy?

I realize that this may seem like a corner case, but I'm mixing products for TV retrieval between plex, channels, and emby and sometimes one of those will get the first airing and the others dont have a tuner available and will try to get the rerun.

I guess the short version of this question is "Does channels check the local library before starting a recording for a new episode"

Local imports are not consulted at all as far as passes and recordings go, as far as I'm aware.

So unless I'm mistaken, the answer is no.

I feel like this is kind of half way between where it needs to be.

For instance, if you put a Movies and TV local source in, the UI shows Movies, TV Shows, and Recordings. Recordings are DVR recordings as expected, but TV Shows are a mix of the local source and the recordings which is weird.

Seems like these should either be separated as two distinct libraries, or they should be integrated as to not create duplicates.

Agreed, ideally imported TV would be marked as recorded. We plan to put a lot more polish into the imports beta in the new year.

3 Likes

awesome. honestly, this is the only substantial complaint I have. It's not as feature rich as other products but simplicity is a feature as well. keep up the good work

1 Like

Any update here? I'm trying to catch up on some missing episodes and getting a lot of duplicate recordings. (I've moved most of the current recordings to a local library)

Not yet but I will revisit next week.

I can definitely understand the request and might also use it, but if it's implemented, please make it optional. If you don't, at least issue a warning so I can figure out how to change my strategy.

I have some older recordings in SD or with glitches and am waiting for them to re-air in HD.
Channels DVR series passes have been working to fill this need.
When they do re-air and I verify it's a good HD recording, I replace the old SD or glitched recording with the new HD recording.
I would hate for my current series passes to get overridden because a new DVR version is suddenly without warning now looking at my imported episodes/specials and marking them as already recorded.

1 Like

With the latest prerelease build, newly imported content (i.e. content that is scanned in after you upgrade) will be marked in the internal database as imported. These episodes will not be re-recorded by the DVR's passes.

2 Likes

Good to know. If one does want to re-record something that was Imported, could they 'force record' it from the guide How to record same show from two different sources? or use the mark as not recorded curl hack?

It should show the Record Again option. If not I can add it.

1 Like

Does this apply to Movies also or just TV episodes?