TV guide letter codes

I’m having a few situations where I’ve recorded a screening with sign language added. There appears to be no way of identifying which screenings will be normal and which have sign language added.

According to this, some guides have codes that describe which have sign language added.

Can this be added? For me it is a minor irritation having sign language recordings, but for those who rely on sign language being able to easily identify which are the recordings with it would be essential.

Being able to adjust a system wide setting to prefer screenings with or without sign language would be very helpful. For example, if there are 10 screenings of a show that’s set to record via a pass, the system should select one that matches the system wide preference.

Incidentally, what is the DVS tag that some shows have? Could this be what I’m looking for? If so, it would be a case of adding a system preference for it.

I’ve now seen that this was kind of covered in this topic:

It misses the key aspect though that being able to prefer to record SL tagged shows is probably a more important thing. With that ability would come the option to prefer not to record SL shows.

If there is a tag on the guide data, you can edit your pass with the advanced editor on web UI and add a rule to exclude that tag.

If that works we can look into making it easier and/or default.

DVS/DVI = Descriptive Video Information
Some programs provide an additional narration which enables visually impaired persons to hear enriched verbal descriptions of the action being seen on the program.

I think the main issue here is the SL (sign language) tag does not appear in the channels guide.

Perhaps it’s just something that’s not surfaced in the UI but exists behind the scenes?

If it is there but not shown, it would be great to make it a general setting / preference.

Also, if it is there but hidden, please can it be exposed so when manually setting something to record we know if we’re recording a sign language version or not?

The advanced pass editor will show you all available tags in the auto completer so you can check there if the backend has it or not.

If not, give me an example channel/time/program and I can ask our guide provider about it.

1 Like

Ok, great. When I have a moment I’ll investigate. Will report back. Thanks.

Ok, no luck.

I don’t know what the EI tag means so I guess there’s a chance it or one of the others actually is what I’m looking for, but I think it’s unlikely.

Here’s the full list I see:

If you could ask your guide provider to add the SL tag for sign language it would be a great start.

Can you submit diagnostics and give me some examples of recordings in your dvr with the SL content.

I’ve just deleted one! Sorry. Will record something tonight and submit that.

Edit: how should I send the info? The recording will be a fairly large file.

Oh, one question: will the diagnostics get wiped with a restart? I’ve found I have to restart my Mac and my tuner every night to keep the HDHomeRun and channels working reliably.

If the restart is going to wipe the diagnostics I might have to work something out. I have a launchd daemon running to force a restart at a specific time so it isn’t the most straightforward thing to stop and start.

I think there is sometimes SL content early in the morning too. If this restart thing is going to be an issue, I’ll investigate further.

Restart doesn't matter. On the web UI you can click Support at the top right and then Submit Diagnostics at the bottom of the page.

1 Like

Do you need the actual recording too? Or just to tell you the time / title so you can find it on the diagnostics?

I don't need the file, just the metadata in the diagnostics.

1 Like

I’ve submitted the diagnostics. The recording was made at 3am UK (GMT) time this morning.

Here is a screenshot.

Edit: also note the UI problems at the top of the screen