TVE - How long does it have?

How long does it have? A lot of people are preparing HDMI ip tuners in preparation of TVE ending. Was it just NBC leaving or are others considering it?

NBC did not leave TVE. TVE still works. I can watch the NBC app on all of my devices with my YouTubeTV login. What NBC did was to basically limit the TVE login to THEIR app or websites by using DRM (i think?). Channels cannot use chrome to see these TVE stations any more because of this action. It may be semantics but TVE is still working, meaning you cant see the various channels on the NBC App or site if you dont subscribe to a service to pay for them like cable TV or an internet streaming app.

My question is do you think others will follow? NBC started 4K and started HD broacasts and Color broadcasts first as well as the first US broadcasts, so they are trendsetters I think.

I think times possible yes but I don’t think they did this to get at channels users. We are a very small minority. I would think they did this for a technical reason on their sites. Maybe to boost security?

This has to do with limiting piracy, or their attempt to limit piracy.

Channels DVR lost a few sports channels and PBS to DRM before NBC.
Recently PBS Kids.
As mentioned previously, they're still TVE and work on the websites and apps, just not Channels DVR.

Well, they work with HDMI ip devices iirc

Tell me more about HDMI IP devices - where do I get them?

1 Like

A quick search leads to this thread and (un)official project:

2 Likes

That's what I've heard.
Since you're talking about alternative to Channels DVR TVE, a HDHR OTA or CABLE tuner also works. Even when your Internet connection is down.