TVE Network Participation Slowly going away

I am starting to wonder if any major Network has TVE in their future.
Just over a Year ago I had access to 200+ channels and all major broadcast networks.
Networks no longer available on TVE is growing.
NBC, FOX, NBATV, and a host of others.
It looks like networks prefer to directly distribute their content; and not have it aggregated out via TVE.
Not sure if we have any insiders on this site that understand the politics and technical challenges but sure would like to hear an opinion or two on this.
How is Cord cutting affecting TVE?
How can we persuade broadcast and online networks to participate?
Does TVE have a future?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Let me thank everyone now. Look forward to your responses.

2 Likes

It depends on the service provider what is offered. I don't see any indication that TVE as a whole is going away.
I have Philo and Xfinity, and have not noticed any severe changes since I set them up a few years ago.
The only networks that went away for me was USA and ScFi, but i rarely watch them, and still can watch them live, via Streamlink feature.
I use OTA for locals, so do not care about TVE versions of them.

Yeah I've lost NBC on TVE, never had ABC due to U-verse not participating with our local station, and now Fox is gone with the 'stream is having technical difficulties' error. PBS also went away but can be worked around with the docker container. NBC has been worked around with a hack HDMI encoder setup that doesn't always work because NBC will randomly put a banner on screen that ruins the recording.

So all I have left on TVE is CBS, and it's also the most reliable station I've had. I don't have Fox or ABC at all because there's no workaround, have to use my U-verse DVR to record those. That means, to me, TVE is going away for the major nets.

I use TVE with YouTube-TV and have watched the slow but continuous dribble of stations exiting TVE. One day they are there and the next I see the message that YouTube doesn't offer TVE for that channel. I can't tell if the exit is due to the station applying DRM to block it like NBC or if it is a function of YouTube-TV withdrawing access. The end result is the same -- I lose.

Once upon a time all the Sports channels that mattered to us were accessible/recordable through Channels/TVE. Now they are all gone and I have to go through that dreadful YouTube-TV app to watch any of it.

1 Like

TVE is getting challenging.
Right now my favorite provider for TVE is Philo.
I suggest that folks think about getting involved in some of the projects in the Playground area.
I'll take it while it lasts.

1 Like

I wish Channels could find a way to work with something like a DirecTV Stream adapter. Maybe a hardware device that would take HDMI signals from the DTVS device and allow it to be recorded, but I know HDMI probably would restrict it recording copyrighted content.

Looks like the cable providers have forced their way to have us watch their commercials (unless we go to streaming only, which sometimes also forces their commercials on us).

Sad day ahead for the DVR industry.

Sounds like you need to check out the HDMI for Channels thread.

2 Likes

If you wanted to record from HDMI the DTV streambox would have to be controllable via Android ADB commands. Or you'd have to go back to the bad old days of IR blasting.

The HDMI solution is a decent one for YouTube TV to get around the TVE problem but it's not cheap if you want to record say four channels at once.

1 Like

Many of these networks still support TV Everywhere via their official apps and websites. It's not as though the TV Everywhere initiative is over, it's just that the way the video is being distributed is no longer compatible with Channels DVR. They always expected viewers to use their apps.

That being said, linear television in itself doesn't have a bright future. Viewer numbers are way down and outside of sports and news most of these pay TV networks just show reruns all day. It's getting pretty bad out there.

2 Likes