TVE on ARM-based NAS

ARM based processors won't work with TVE

Why won't they?

The TVE implementation runs on Chrome, which isn't available for most ARM chipsets.

Can't you setup a DVR using the Nvidia Shield?

The shield and Pi use a modern 64-bit ARM processor. Older 32-bit ARM is not supported.

That's too bad. My QNAP 431+ is only 3 years old.

OS
My Synology appears to be 64bit ARM - might that work with TVE?

Synology DS218play
linux
(kernel: 4.4.59+)

CPU
4 cores / ARMv8 Processor rev 4 (v8l)
load averages: 0.38 0.49 0.44

We've added initial support for arm64 based NAS in the latest pre-release build of the dvr.

Hi - I just started using my rpi4 as my server and saw a new server version came out today. I thought I'd give TVE a try w/ my Verizon acct, but when I go to add the TVE source, I get the following error " The TVE feature is not currently available on DVRs with ARM CPUs".

Note that I did run the "sudo apt-get install chromium" command ahead of time but no luck. Do I need to restart the rpi4 or something? Some other way to debug if chromium is setup correctly?

Huh it should work on the Pi.

Can you copy/paste the OS/CPU section?

Sure.

OS

Linux Raspbian
10.1 (kernel: 4.19.75-v7l+)

CPU

4 cores / ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)

What about:

chromium --version

I get "chromium: command not found". Very weird. I then tried the "sudo apt-get install chromium" command again and I see the following error:

Err:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf libxdamage1 armhf 1:1.1.4-3
404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/pool/main/libx/libxdamage/libxdamage1_1.1.4-3_armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Try apt-get update first

Perfect - that did the trick. I did the update first, and then the install command. All set (and I'm able to use TVE now)! Probably worthwhile though to update the instructions on the site below as those are the exact steps I followed:

Version

Check For Update

Uptime

10 hours
Started Yesterday at 8:05 PM

Timezone

CST

OS

Synology DS216play
Linux
(kernel: 3.10.105)

CPU

2 cores / ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)

load averages: 5.66 4.77 4.49

RAM

658.13 MB
46.8% free

It might make sense to insert a check for the installation status of chromium in the DVR code somewhere and flag an issue somewhere on the status page. This seems to be a recurring issue with DVR/TVE that causes a great deal of wasted support time.

so, it should work on a Pi Model 3 B+ as well then, I assume (also 64 bit ARM v8).

Yes it should

Most distros for the Pi are not using 64bit binaries. However, most do have builds of Chromium for armv7l in their repositories.