Two home setup

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you select a specific remote server, if you have more than one? I know how to do it locally, with the IP address.

1 Like

It's not possible. There is one remote access domain per account.

I guess you could go into each dvr and turn off/on remote access based on the one you want to expose and connect to.

That makes sense.

So, seaside63, I go back to the suggestion of using HDHR app for House # 2 live channels and Channels DVR for recordings or live channels from House # 1.

BTW, Happy New Year, everyone.

Do you have access to TV Everywhere from Mediacom? If so enable on DVR at house 1 and have access via remote access. This is a work around but might give you access to more channels at house 1

That would be a good idea but our Mediacom is covered by HOA dues and we have no login info which could be used for TVE.

Yes, that would work. Iā€™m not a fan of the HDHR app and having multiple apps would fail the wife test. :smile:

Most everything is working as expected. Remote DVR and local HDHR show up as sources. Guide date for channels from both sources are merged, etc. The only issue is the final step of tuning into a local HDHR channel. Code would need to know source for each channel and tune to the appropriate source.

Haven't tried so don't know if it works, but...
Could you install both Channels apps (Live TV and Whole Home DVR) on your client device (ATV?) and use one to connect remotely to the DVR at house#1 and use the other to access your local HDHR at house#2?
Not sure if the two apps share settings.

I believe they do share settings (as does the beta), but worth a try if they havenā€™t tried already.

I've been using Channels this whole time without a HDHR, just TVE until tomorrow when my HDHR arrives lol. Anyways.

Anyone home at the other house to go unplug the HDHR? Maybe then, through some cosmic voodoo magik it will use the local HDHR since the other one is down.
OR
Unplug it, AND / OR remove it from the DVR sources, the recordings will remain.

This is incorrect. While the OTA tuners can tune ClearQAM unencrypted cable, the opposite is not true.

The Prime (SiliconDust's only CableCARD tuner) cannot be used with an antenna for OTA broadcasts; it is only able to tune cableā€”whether unencrypted without a CableCARD, or encrypted and paired with a CableCARD.

The same is also true for the DVB tuners: the OTA DVB-T/T2 tuners had a recent firmware update that allows them to tune unencrypted DVB-C. But the Expandā€”the DVB equivalent of the Primeā€”can only handle DVB-C sources, not DVB-T/T2. (Also, encryption via CI/CI+ is not supported on any SD tuner.)

1 Like

Resurfacing an old topic. I happened to try this at house #2 today and everything is working perfectly. I can tune channels from the DVR at house #1 and can also tune channels from the HDHomerun here in house #2. Not sure if it was intentionally fixed or if I got lucky but Iā€™m appreciative!

1 Like