Up Next Broken / Continue Watching Needed

That is what happens for in-progress movies; presently it does not include to TV episodes. (At least, on tvOS this is the behavior.)

Diagnostics submitted.

"The Chase" is the show I can't figure out why it would be listed as 'Up Next'. I also can't figure out why 'CBS Evening News' would be in there over other programs. There's just no rhyme or reason for any of this based on my viewing habits.

I think the "Up Next" might work for some people's usage habits, but for some of us it's completely non-sensical.

There are a few series I'm watching in order and they sometimes show up in the 'Up Next" top 6 but often don't. So the ones I actually would want to show up because I am watching them fairly regularly often don't.

I would prefer an option on a show where you could do long press on the show and select a 'Include in Up Next" option. That would be much more helpful if I could manage myself. Then the top 6 at least could be shows that I actively want to monitor.

1 Like

I took up next off my Clients rather use enhance library UPNEXT never made any sense to me. At least in library view I get Continue Watching movies ...

This would be great. I completely agree that the Up Next never made sense to us. We have a lot of shows and can't find the ones we want to watch in Up Next because it always seems to shuffle so we never used it.

Trying to hunt down the next episode of an old show that we have lots of episodes of has been a chore. It seems that up next is showing whatever was recently recorded versus what we watch most or watch most recently. It just doesn't fit our watching behavior and makes finding what we want to watch a pain.

My thought is if Continue Watching is supposed to be combined with Up Next (not ideal) it should prioritize like this:

1. Partially watched / unfinished episodes (Favorited first)
  2. Shows specifically marked as Favorites
  3. Shows watched most recently, oldest / next episode first
  4. Shows watched most frequently, oldest / next episode first

I don't think shows recorded most recently should trump the above like it does today, especially if older unwatched episodes of the same show already exist. Recently recorded episodes shouldn't bump them up - we aren't going to skip ahead, need to watch in order!

Can you tell me more about this show. It seems you've been recording it for a while, and recently all the episodes were deleted before a new one was recorded yesterday (1/5).

Is this a show you've been watching? Or did you just delete all the episodes without watching them?

The idea here was that if I setup a pass two weeks ago for a upcoming show, and then today it finally records a new episode, that episode would appear in Up Next so I can see that my show finally aired and I can watch it easily.

The whole point of up next is to help you watch in order. If it's not working that way then its due to a bug. Clearly it works fine for us, so we are trying to figure out what these edge cases are that cause it not to work and fix them.

There's a new build uploading now which will fix the issue you were seeing on Live PD.

Yea, that's likely what happened. We record a lot of shows and often never get around to watching them. Especially when it's a game show like this. The wife requests to record it, and never watches it and then eventually I get approval to delete the unwatched ones when I'm freeing up space.

This is probably part of the reason "Up Next" doesn't work for our habits. I like the idea of a section that shows me the shows I've started and not finished since that happens quite a bit to me. I also like my suggestion to mark which shows I want included in Up Next.

For example, we've been working our way through all three seasons of Narcos over the last month and often it shows up in the "Up Next" section, but often it doesn't. Since that's our main show right now to get through and finish, I would tag that to always be in "Up Next" until we finish it and move onto the next series.

You can do this inside the Show Options. I'm not opposed to adding a "remove from up next" like the TV app has. That would make it easier to curate up next directly instead of having to go into each show.

Gotcha. I'm working on this case. Similar issues can happen if you immediately delete episodes after watching them.

Are you deleting after watching?

If this happens again please submit diagnostics and ping me so I can figure out why its not showing up. (Might already be fixed in the build that just went out).

I guess I wasn't clear, it is in the "Up Next" section, but deep into it... not in the library screen where you see the top 6 entries. If I don't see it in the top 6 entries, then I'm not going to click into and go digging when I can just find it in the library section. So I guess it's usage habits. So many things get moved into the "Up Next" section that the things I want to easily find end up getting pushed deep into it which kind of defeats the purpose.

I see no reason for an "Up Next" section that has 100 entries in it. What purpose does that serve?

Just submitted diagnostics.
13c9181a-96ca-47a9-8332-a1634f9a2026

I found out that if you don't completely watch at least 1 show from the series (if you stop while there is time left it doesn't count) then it will never appear in up next.

So I only have 1 show now that doesn't appear in up next (the andy griffith show). No matter what I do it doenst show in up next for partial or next episode.

I really wish that we could have continue watching for tv shows and not have them in up next. I know @maddox is adamant that partially watched tv shows belong in up next but I gotta tell you it doesn't compute for me. IMHO up next should be the next episode in the series and continue watching should be anything in process. It would be nice to have a setting to enable tv and/or movies in continue watching. That way you can customize :blush:

I know I'm complaining and these are 1st world problems, channels is still the best dvr software in the world dispite the backwardness of up next/continue watching :grin:

Yea this is another bug. I'll fix it.

Strange, I'll see what I can figure out with the diagnostics.

We have a lot of plans for customization this year, some of which may make this particular feature request unnecessary.

Either way, our preference is to not build new features based on reactions to bugs. Once the bugs are fixed, if people still feel the same, then that's a separate conversation.

3 Likes

I didn't realize I could exclude shows from 'Up Next'. That will help a bit.

What does making a show a 'favorite' do exactly?

Favoriting a show will put it at in a list at the top of the TV Shows section allowing you to get to it a bit faster.

1 Like

Fixed in v2022.01.08.0014

The show options for Andy Griffith Show are set to hide from Up Next

Thanks sounds like the last bullet point was a PEBCAK error.

1 Like

The case where you delete immediately after watching is fixed in the latest build.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the case where you delete episodes without watching them. The DVR would need to track and remember that you did so, and then ignore the new episode when it showed up.

I've added a few shows to Favorites to try this and didn't see anything different. Maybe because I've been staring at Up Next... Favorites does not affect Up Next at all? Can we get details on how the Up Next view chooses the order?

Tested the latest build today and still looks like when deleting shows it goes to some other order. When we manually set shows to watch in order of oldest to newest, can we make sure Up Next follows this rule?

Maybe there needs to be more choices for show order like Episode Order (not sure which DB this info comes from) in addition to Oldest->Newest so that Oldest->Newest can follow Air Date order?

Correct.

AIUI:

• If you start watching a program (or finish an episode of a program), that program will move to the front spot in Up Next.
  • If a program that you have watched airs a new episode (but there are no episodes of that program in your Library), then that program will appear at the beginning of Up Next.