Use Channels-DVR as a tuner for Emby

In the web admin find the list of sources. Click on the source you want the ID. In the upper left hand of the screen it is listed on the second line. For example Cox (TVE-Cox). What's inside ( ) is the ID.

Thanks for the response. When I click the EDIT button on any source, then I find what you're mentioning. that's helpful!

any way to use the m3u remotely? As in server is at my house and I want to use m3u list and app at my moms? tried using the my.channels.net:8089 where "my.channels.net" is your server code and no luck

You would have to use your external IP ... I believe not the local IP in your M3U.

It's not possible to do that without a VPN.

gotcha! thanks

How might I go about exporting to m3u file to use elsewhere?

Any advancement here? I'm not getting very good guide data.

Channels can now natively export its guide as XMLTV: GET /devices/ANY/guide/xmltv. You can also replace ANY with the DeviceID of a specific tuner/source in the path. The endpoint additionally can take 2 parameters: start, expressed in epoch time, for when the guide data should begin; and duration, expressed in seconds, for how much guide data to export.

1 Like

As someone who stumbled through all this (I use Jellyfin but it's essentially the same thing), it would be great to have a proper GUIDE for all this. How to find the M3Us (individual and /ANY), how to get the XML guide - I use channels standalone now but there will definitely be an audience for using it to feed their media server TV.

1 Like

The Guide data from Channels does not play nice with EMBY ... EMBY has trouble reading the Season and episodes from Channels Guide data. ... so it does not name them properly.

Here is a Sample of EMBY naming an Episode with Channels Guide data ... You would have to get Jellyfin or Emby to be able to parse the season/episode correctly. NextPVR already made this change.

The Flintstones 2021_01_24_10_30_00 - The Gravelberry Pie King

1 Like

Yeah I concur.

The XMLTV output from channels is a great feature, and it is advertised as "crude" but it would be a HUGE improvement if they can get it to provide a format that is 100% compatible with Emby.

@tmm1 I have been using XMLTV with Emby for years. If I can be of any help to get this done please let me know.

Why can't EMBY make the change ... I provided the XML to NEXTPVR and they added parsing of the Season and Episode ?. Both HDHomeRun and Channels use the same XML for Season/Episode.

<episode-num system="onscreen">S06E04</episode-num>
1 Like

Well they could of course. Have you inquired with the devs over on the Emby forums?

There is a standard for XMLTV data that all of these different PVR/DVR devs should follow and a lot do:

<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP02843356.0007</episode-num>
<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">0.6.0/1</episode-num>

Emby does, NPVR does, Sage does/did I haven't played around with XMLTV and CDVR (I like the X-M3U feature) but I would be willing to bet that CDVR does too.

All that being said I don't know if it is even possible using the current XMLTV export feature of CDVR to provide the standard mentioned above. It would be great if it could.

I am hoping that Emby (in their "Next Gen LiveTV update) incorporates something like the X-M3U feature that CDVR uses and all this will be a moot point, add the station ID# to your M3U file for each channel and you are done it pulls the correct EPG data for each channel.

Nope because I know what their answer will be the same when I requested for EDL support . We will in the future and that was 2 years ago. Their support for new features is lacking.

Besides they already provide guide data. That works great with Channels M3U.

1 Like

I was thinking everything you just wrote.

If they incorporate X-M3U life will be sweet. Channels does the rest,

My Setup is M3U from channels to EMBY using Guide data for OTA and Cable using Emby Guide Data. ... M3U to Emby using TVE Guide Data from Channels DVR.

That allows me to Share the Streams (tuners) if both EMBY and Channels are watching or recording same channel etc ...

TVE in EMBY ...

I have successfully got my Channels DVR setup in Emby as a tuner. Channels is providing the m3u playlist and guide. But I can only get about 5 hours of data with this url format in Emby
http://MyChannelDvr:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv. In another forum it was stated to format url like this http://MyChannelDvr:8089/devices/ANY/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600
But that doesn't work. How do I get up to 14 days unitizing this feature for Channels DVR to provide guide information.

1 Like

You sur EMBY is not setup in the DVR section to Auto ? You need to set that to 14 days.

Nope it set for 14