User management, fees

I'm confused re user management. I have Unraid running, docker. I'd like to add a small number of remote users to connect. I click on add new client and all I get is links to user clients, IOS, android etc.

This is what I got from Chat GPT. Looks nothing like what I'm seeing.

" As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, Channels DVR is a software that allows you to set up a DVR (digital video recorder) for live TV and streaming. Keep in mind that software interfaces and features may change over time, so it's always a good idea to check the latest documentation or support resources for the most accurate information. Here's a general guide on how you might add a remote user to Channels DVR:

1. Access Channels DVR Server:
  • Open a web browser on the computer where Channels DVR Server is installed.
  • Navigate to the Channels DVR Server web interface. This is typically done by entering the server's IP address or hostname followed by the specified port in the browser's address bar. For example, http://your_server_ip:8089.
  1. Login to Channels DVR:
  • Log in to the Channels DVR web interface using your administrator credentials.
  1. Navigate to User Settings:
  • Look for a section related to user management or settings. This could be located in a menu or sidebar.
  1. Add Remote User:
  • There should be an option to add a new user. Click on it.
  • Fill in the necessary information for the remote user, including a username and password.
  1. Assign Permissions:
  • Specify the permissions for the remote user. Depending on the software, you might be able to control which features or channels they can access.
  1. Save Changes:
  • After adding the remote user and configuring the settings, make sure to save the changes.
  1. Access Channels DVR Remotely:
  • Provide the remote user with the necessary information to access Channels DVR remotely. This might include the server's external IP address or hostname and the port number.

Remember that security is crucial when setting up remote access. Use strong and unique passwords for all users, and consider using secure connections (HTTPS) if available.

If there have been updates or changes to the Channels DVR software since my last knowledge update in January 2022, I recommend checking the official Channels DVR documentation or support forums for the most up-to-date and accurate information."

I've talked to a couple of other Unraid potential users, and they have the same questions.

1. Does every remote connected user need to subscribe to Channels and pay a monthly fee?
  2. Once channel client downloaded, how do you connect to the server if you are remote.
  3. What control is there on who can connect.

Running Docker fancybits/channels-dvr:tve
Thanks

Ai gave a terrible answer. You don’t add remote clients in the web ui although they can be managed from there.

Just download the free whole home dvr app to the client device and login under the away from home option. That’s it, you will only have to login once.

No they are free but channels is for household use and not designed to be shared to random people like Plex can

It will do this automatically after the first login

A single User and password that all clients will use. Once again this is a household solution

1 Like

Channels doesn’t have any sort of User profiles.

Channels is a system designed for family use at home or while you are away in a legal and fair use manner. It’s not built to share all your content to all of your friends across the internet.

If you want to share your content with friends, there are plenty of other projects out there that let you do that

Thank you - that cleared everything up.

If you want user profiles, you can quasi set it up yourself with a little bit of elbow grease:

Does not handle watch Status for individual devices/users ... which is the most important use of user profiles. There is no continue watching for individual devices/users.

I'm going to have to disagree on the phrase "the most important"; that is a personal preference thing, and yours and mine obviously do not align. For now, let's just say I'm offering a potential solution that can address some, but not all of, the requests of the OP.

The Problem right now with Channels DVR for multi users is that If I am Watching the latest episode of Law and Order ,, and leave it in progress and someone in household watches it all the way through it falls out of up next. That is why I use Emby to watch all Channels DVR recordings and movies. It also gives me personalized recommendations.

But like maddox said it is designed for individual use.

1 Like