We need Channels to match framerate

The Shield TV has a feature called Framerate Matching that you can turn on in the settings. Most streaming services and Plex/Kodi will use this feature if necessary. Essentially, when you start playback, it changes the fps settings on the shield's hdmi port temporarily to match the content during playback, then it switches back when you return to the menu. That way a 23.98 source plays at 23.98 (24p) and a 29.97 source plays at 29.97 (30p).

To watch broadcast TV on the Channels app, set your shield's hdmi fps setting to 59.94 and you should be good. Now, on 720P channels I do see some screen tearing and break up sometimes. I'm not sure why this happens but I get it with both the Channels and HDHomeRun apps so it has to be something with the way the signal is being sent from the broadcaster.

The shield has no such feature there's a color match feature but nothing about frame rate matching.

But it still does framerate matching if requested by the APP. It also does automatic resolution switching.

I don't think so, as I have never seen either of my shields change the res ever. I woudl know as the monitor my pro is on, and the TV my tube model is on, if it changed the res, the screen goes black and its OSD comes up showing the new display mode. This happens when i change the display settings manauly.

I am able to do this with my Nvidia Gpu in my desktop computer on the same monitor, if I launch a game that uses a differnt res or fps, the monitor will do the same black screen then its OSD thing.

Looking at the Shield forums, there is a beta feature that was introduced at one point(10-28-19) for Match Frame rate. However, it was removed in further updates.

EDIT: Ok so, must have been out of date info. I see a Match Frame Rate (beta) toggle. I set it to my remote button.....and have played several videos that i know have different frame rates....nothing, the feature does nothing. i played a 60pfs vid, 30 fps, 23.96, and the other decimal varients, pressing the Match frame rate toggle a few times. nohting.

EDIT2: So Emby's built in Refresh Rate switching feature works. for vid that are 60fps and my Shield is set to 59.94 atm, however, it does not switch for vids lower than that, like 23.976 or 29.97.

1 Like

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/match-frame-rate/

Yes, i found that page as well, but like i said it is Beta, and so far, does not appear to work for me. And it is not a supported or implemented feature as of yet it seems.

Either way, why would you want your screen to flash off an on every time you watch something, and then back out into a menu or whatever...super annoying. Unless u have a tv/monitor that can instant change its fps dynamically with no interruption.

1 Like

Why do some find the need to tell others what they should not ask for ... if the OP wants refresh rate he has a right to ask for it even if it is rejected.... by developers.

Why do some find the need to ask for features that are currently not present?

For the same reason that you should or should not ask for a feature that is currently not there. THey won't or don't want a change to be made.

With the trash feature, some wanted it, some do not. Some still do not want it and hate it.

U cant satisfy everyone. And everyone is free to say yay or nay and explain why they do or don't want something to change per their use case.

1 Like

Actually you can satisfy everyone with frame-rate matching by making a toggle within the app.

I don't know about you, but I don't scroll up and down channels. I go in the guide or DVR and choose a show then start watching. It's really not a big deal for the tv to change framerate or going into HDR. It's the same time frame.

I don't use a Shield TV. I use Apple TV, FireTV and the Sony Android TV.

We have not found framerate matching to be a thing that would be useful for OTA, Cable or TVE. None of them broadcast in 24fps.

We are investigating framerate matching for imported content. It will change the framerate based on the framerate of the file (as reported in View Details).

1 Like

Some do Broadcast in 29.97fps

1 Like

From the Apple TV support documentation:

Apple TV matches the frame rate of content encoded at 60, 50, 30, 25, and 24fps. Frame rates match the refresh rate appropriate for your region, for example 29.97fps for NTSC. 25fps and 30fps content uses frame rate doubling to display at 50Hz and 60Hz when available, matching its original appearance while preserving a fluid user interface.

1 Like

We have not found framerate matching to be a thing that would be useful for OTA, Cable or TVE.

I'd rather framerate matching be implemented across the board rather than just for imported content. Your Apple TV is likely to be set to the default framerate for your region, so the issue of having to endure framerate switches when flipping through channels is moot. However, there are those of us that use Telly to get our free-to-air satellite setups working with Channels, and you do encounter a mix of 50 and 60 Hz content where framerate switching would be very welcome.

Yes, probably not a common use case, but if you're going to do the work to implement framerate switching, please do it universally.

We’re working on frame rate matching in the new iOS/tvOS beta.

It’s not that we’re only doing it for imported content, it’s that that is honestly the only content we support that will utilize it.

Previously, the only content in Channels was from broadcast sources. Those all adhere to the same refresh rate that the device is set to. So there was no reason to even support refresh rate changing.

Now having imported content, we’ll support it. But it will do practically nothing for recorded content as it is all ~60fps.

2 Likes