Web player issues (stuck in remuxing)

I meant via Chrome on your phone/tablet, by opening my.channelsdvr.net (or using the IP of your DVR computer directly).

We don’t currently have an Android app available.

Is an Android App in the works to match what you have for iOS?

Currently, I can watch what I have on the TiVos with the TiVo App and- when booted into Win7 instead of Win10 - I can watch what’s on WMC with Remote Media Center (via Remote Potato). I bought HDHomeRun to try in Win10 but what they offer as a guide and player leaves much to be desired (that’s what brought me to Channels in the first place).

Assuming I will get programs to play from the web-based DVR interface, all it would take to pull me in as a permanent subscriber enthusiastically promoting your product - is a nice Android handheld device interface. :smiley:

We’re still concentrating on Android TV at the moment. The Android ecosystem is hard to develop for since there are so many variations of OS, hardware, form factor, etc.

FYI none of our native apps (Android TV, FireTV, iOS, Apple TV) require transcoding for playback. The issue you’re experiencing is specific to transcoding, which is only used for web-based playback (or remote access where you have limited bandwidth).

What happens when you try to play one of your local stations (NBC, FOX, etc). Those are always in mpeg2, so the web player would force transcoding instead of remuxing. Does it start playing in the web player, or say Transcoding and keep counting up but nothing plays?

I have another Windows10 PC at home with an nVidia Quadro graphics card in it. I also have a HP x360 Spectre 13t laptop with 16GB running Win10 that I could try. Does the $8 per month cover more than one PC if I’m the sole user? If so, I’ll try Channels DVR on those to see if the results are any better.

You can install it on other computers with the same license.

It would be good to narrow down first whether the issue is on the DVR side or the playback side. If you can use the existing DVR by access its web UI from one of the other computers or your Android devices, and it still fails to play, that means its the DVR server itself. But if only that computer fails to play, that means its the web player that’s choking on that one computer for some reason.

Okay, I’ll try the DVR side first. What do I enter in the address field of the remote PC’s browser to access the DVR host? (or do I still install Channels DVR on the clients?)

Look under the Bonjour checkbox on the Settings tab. You can try either http://dvr-computername.local:8089, or use the computer’s IP i.e. http://192.168.1.123:8089

On the local stations that aren’t compressed to h.264, I DID see that “transcoding” was displayed where “remuxing” had been for cable channels, but it didn’t seem to have any greater success rate than remuxing even once I saw a few programs (both local and cable) successfully play. I’ll look at it more carefully tonight to confirm that.

The signs so far point to some sort of playback issue, and I would guess that other devices connected to the same DVR would be able to play both remuxed and transcoded content just fine.

Try this test player on that computer and see if it works: https://video-dev.github.io/hls.js/demo/

I have Android TV on my Sony XBR49-X700D 4K TV. I didn’t think to try it with Channels DVR. I gather that it’s not one of your “native apps” so it would require transcoding as well?

We do have a native Android TV app on the Play Store. No transcoding required.

To try hls.js you linked to, do I just add the Watch Now url link to the end of the address (after “/demo/”)?

No, I just want to know if the preloaded video (Big Buck Bunny) on that page plays or not.

Oh, I get it. I’ll try it as soon as I get home. Thanks!

The test player worked just fine.

Up to 2160p YouTube videos play just fine.
Logging in to our Xfinity account yielded mixed results. Some programs streamed while most I tried had errors that made it unable to play.

Wondering if it could be something similar to what HDCP issues look like.

Not sure what you’re referring to here? I had asked you to access Channels DVR from another device.

Xfinity is our internet and cable provider. Logging into our account on their website gives us the ability to stream pretty much every program in our service plan. I’ve never had a problem streaming to my other PCs so I was curious how it would perform on this one that is struggling with Channels DVR. Sure enough, it struggled with Xfinity streaming in much the same manner.

As for trying to access Channels DVR from other devices, I’ve tried it from the Win10 PC and Win10 notebook I mentioned above. I could see the guide but I couldn’t get any programs - live or recorded - to stream through the web interface. Each of them did well with the Watch Now URLs pasted into VLC.

I wouldn’t mind making my other Win10 PC the host for Channels DVR. Perhaps it would work better as well. Is there a certain procedure I should follow to change the host PC?

You can move over your recordings and then use http://127.0.0.1:8089/restore on the new PC to import