Website streaming?

It looks like the custom stream channels are focused on streaming video types only. Is it possible to stream an active website? I have 2 use cases for this, one being the ADS-B flight tracking site. I'd like to have that viewed on a TV via a "channel". The other is a Grafana dashboard that refreshes every few minutes.

Both are straight up web sites and I haven't been able to find good alternatives to the RPi running a headless Chrome process.

This thread will help you

Actually Chrome Capture for Channels would be perfect for this use case.

Opps, missed that part of your message. But I'll leave my reply for future references by others.

1 Like

I read the entire thread and it's focused on streaming video formats, such as m3u8 or rtsp. I'm looking at just constantly updating websites without a streaming video.

And my Grafana dashboard I host internally is an html site with auto-refreshing.

Yep, and I actually ran a ChromeKiosk process for some time. This was a server that would run a Chrome management process and you could specify the websites and the ChromeCast targets. That worked, but the server was a little flaky.

This may not be possible within Channels, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's very close to being a digital signage solution, which Channels isn't.

If you had a video encoder and a device that could be set to display those webpages in a browser and feed it to the encoder HDMI input, you could then setup a custom channel to pull the video encoder stream as a channel.

Of course the device to display the web pages might need some custom code/proxy if you want it to handle more than one webpage, but it could be done.

Channels is a video player, not a web browser, so I don't see how it could be possible.

Chrome Capture for Channels does exactly this.

1 Like

But Chrome Capture requires a device running Chrome to display the site and then send it to Channels, right? I didn't want to dedicate a Windows instance to this, even if it's virtualized.

I'll dig into Chrome Capture some more. Maybe I can find a way to make it work for me. Thanks!

Oh, there's a docker image...am I understanding that the container can do the Chrome to video/audio conversion?

All your questions answered:

I tried cc4c docker image with the ads-b site and it works fine.

1 Like

That's awesome! I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for all the help, everyone!