What's the real reason Channels is not on Roku?

In 2021, You don’t buy the excuse because you don’t know how it works. This horse has been beaten to death 6548 times. Search is your friend.

Long story short, Roku is a cheap, ad ridden, privacy raping, bargain bin POS that rightfully channels is ignoring because the user experience would be garbage.

Tell your non techie wife that plex and channels don’t work the same way.

I’ll leave it to someone else actually spend the time to spell out the technical details with cpu and programming language differences that garbage Roku uses for their $15 ad machine, and it has nothing to do with arrangement deals and “bandwidth”.

2 Likes

Get a cheap firestick I am sure you have a spare HDMI port.

3 Likes

Roku requires all apps use their platform video player. All apps are merely skins and menus around that video player; such an arrangement won't work with Channels' custom video player. Also, their recent changes to development channels and things makes the platform even more hostile.

Plus, everything must be written in their own custom crappy language "BrightScript".

In short, Roku may be popular with consumers for its simplicity; more broadly, its hardware is cheap, platform a pain, and it is hostile to developers.

4 Likes

Did you just make that one up? I've read like a dozen threads about this, there's plenty of explanation, and there's never been a "bandwidth excuse."

5 Likes

Bandwidth was never a factor, but the higher bandwidth H.262/MPEG-2 video codec used for OTA broadcasts was certainly a factor. In the beginning no Roku device supported the codec, and therefore was unusable.

When Roku was shipped as the OS for some "smart" TVs, those few devices supported codec out of necessity. I believe more Roku devices now support the codec, but I'm not sure if all do.

1 Like

Did do research. Starting at post 154

If Channels devoted the time, they could make it work. As has numerous other platforms on Roku who holds a pretty large market share of viewers.

Like I said, I love Channels but it's a big disappointment that Channels has decided to not have it on Roku for whatever reason.

You don't have to buy new TVs. Just a better quality streaming box to connect to your existing TVs.

4 Likes

Yes, by expending lots of resources to add an additional platform to support, the developers could put out a client for Roku devices. In fact, they dabbled with the idea in the past and published an alpha quality proof-of-concept channel for Roku. It was that experience that led the developers to state, repeatedly, that presently there is no plan in the near term to bring Channels to Roku.

If in the future they decide to bring channel to Roku, then they will make it known. Until then, this topic has been discussed to death, and the final word from the developers has been there will not be effort expended on a Roku client.

Probably because Channels is in bed with Google. Google does not like Roku because they won't be pushed around like others. I have 9 Roku tvs as well as old and new Roku devices (no sticks though) but didn't start out that way. I have had FireTV, AppleTV, etc...They were lacking in navigation and content that I wanted. They are getting better but still push you towards their money making schemes and away from what you might want. As far as the Rokus being cheap, yes they are but so are the others. I have plenty of things I don't like about Roku too. I connect to my NAS for content and it does the transcoding so the TV doesn't have to do crap for transcoding. I play 4k and have done 3d movies over Roku no issues. Now Channels has their own video player. I suspect they take out some unneeded security overhead to give a cleaner stream but I am only guessing. It works and that is what matters. They will not port over to Roku. I am running my Homerun through my Plex right now but will convert slowly over to android as that is the way the content will be forced to go and I know how to play ball. Google and Apple so no monopoly. As far as programming goes, just look at all the idiot apps on Roku, its not that difficult. Plex does it, just suffers from overhead a bit and that is even going to my desktop computer.

2 Likes

On what part?

Specifically the “in bed with Google”. A common lament around here is how Android is neglected in favor of Apple clients. :smiley:

all of it.

1 Like

I am new here but from other areas I have seen Apple get favoritism. The Roku vs Google over YouTube Live is creating a lot of heat. I think of the relationship of Apple and Google as kind of like the middle east. Enemies can work together for their own common good. Direct from the Art of War.

this has nothing to do with anything in this thread. roku and google bitch fighting has nothing to do with how shitty roku is and why channels won't develop their software for it...that has already been answered ad nauseam.

I am not sure what your beef is, but I will take a look around the forums here. Roku is the industry leader, has more apps, device options, etc. I am not going to say that won't change, in fact I have decided to transition slowly. You sound like you have a personal issue with it and just want to call it names. What do you use and why?

there is no beef. this exact thread pops up every month by someone new. so instead of searching before the first post, people come in with zero knowledge on how stuff like this works (which is fine) but proclaim that "since plex on roku, i dont buy it that channels cant do it" and "i have 15 rokus and no of them have problems streaming from (insert whatever here)" or "i have to make my wife happy because we cant understand".

then knowledgeable people step up and actually explain why there is no roku support, then people arguing wont believe it because "roku is the biggest player in the universe". then more posts keep coming from people with internet engineering degrees still claiming that there must be something else as to why channels is not supported on roku.

the beef is that "you" already made up your mind after multiple corrections with data points. so what else will you get out of this thread? the fake answer you are looking for is not coming and its not being held from roku enthusiasts.

again, the answer is because the 3 guys that work from their basements or backyards with family and personal duties have already stated that roku is not technologically advanced enough for the way THEY develop their own software and as of now, there is no plans to change that way of thinking.

its like me going into the Morris Marina car forum and complaining as to why my old car can't get auto pilot since tesla can easily do it.

it doesnt matter what platform i use, you already made up your mind that google and apple are evil, but to answer your question, i don't use roku.

3 Likes

here is the work that people refuse to do:

https://community.getchannels.com/search?expanded=true&q=@maddox%20roku

Well said.

I'm glad Channels developers are transparent about this all, and have patiently explained it to us, as adults. Other developers and companies tend to say wishy-washy stuff like "We don't comment on future plans, but always appreciate user feedback in an ever-evolving world, so stay tuned and see what's in store" blah blah blah.

Instead, Channels developers come right out and say it. So we, as consumers, can make our purchasing decisions accordingly and with foresight. Personally speaking, I'm already unlikely to buy a standalone Roku, as I've used them before and the interface and UX are awful. I also prefer to be the customer and not the product being sold. But the appeal of a Roku TV, with everything integrated, sure is appealing, for certain smaller spots like a kitchen.

But alas, without Channels DVR support, it's a non-starter. For me, at least.

I've been swimming in this topic my whole life and know very well by now that every tech choice has pros and cons. It's up to each consumer to decide for themselves which outweighs which. And the more nuances we understand, the wiser those choices can be.

If using Roku is your priority, just use another DVR. If you already have a Roku TV and don't appreciate the lack of Channels, add a streaming stick, cheap FireTV or AndroidTV-based dongle, or strap on an AppleTV.

It's not that complicated. Complaining here about it, with lack of understanding, or swirling up some conspiracy theory to explain it otherwise, just seems like a real waste of time and energy.

3 Likes

This has gone off the rails. It has already been asked and answered many times. Consider this thread closed.

5 Likes