2 Channels DVR servers on same network

I have a hypothesis for this behavior, which is that if the client is activated when it's DVR is offline, it does a port scan on the subnet to find a server.

Since I have two DVRs running on the same Windows box, one in a Hyper-V virtual Windows machine (DVR #2), one directly on the host machine (DVR #1), DVR #1 will naturally come up first when host is rebooted. If a client that is normally connected to DVR #2 happens to look for it's DVR while the host is rebooted, it will find DVR #1 instead of #2.

It turns out that I cannot configure multiple subnets nor VLANS with my router, so isolating DVR #2 and it's clients to their own subnet isn't possible (at least not without hacking the router's OS). But, it occurred to me that if I delay the startup of the service for DRV #1 to ensure that DVR #2 comes up first, maybe that would prevent my mom's Fire TV stick from connecting to my DVR. Of course, that may result in some of the other Fire TV sticks connecting to DVR #2 instead of #1, but I can deal with that.

Another possible solution to this dilemma is for the client to recognize it's server by a unique ID, and not connect to a different DVR unless explicitly allowed.

I'll try the delay and let you know what happens. I think I can actually test this hypothesis by rebooting the server and then restarting clients to see what happens...

I have 3 channels dvr servers running in containers. I do not experience clients (shields) changing to a different server. Bonjour Discovery is not selected on any of the servers.

There is no port scan or subnet scan happening

OK, then. Hypothesis falsified!

Yet, the phenomenon continues. Is there anything special happening on a cold start (power cycle) as opposed to waking up from being suspended? That is the one difference between my mom's client an all of the others; her Fire stick is powered off when the TV is turned off.

1 Like

You have it on some kind of IP outlet that removes power to the Firestick? I was under the impression a Firestick is never off unless you pull the plug.

It goes to sleep.

From the previous post, it sounds as if the Fire Stick is powered by the TV’s USB port, and power is cut when the TV is powered off.

1 Like

Yep! I was previously using Roku sticks, which had the annoying trait of continuing to stream even after the TV was turned off. Consequently, I kept hitting the data cap, at least partly due one or more of them staying connected to a streaming source 24/7 (this was a few years ago). So, I found a plug strip that would turn off some outlets if the device plugged into a monitored outlet was turned off.

I've never noticed this to be a problem with the Fire TV sticks, so I could disable that feature.

What?

Did you plug the firesticks microusb cord into one of the TVs usb ports, or is it connected to a brick.

Most TVs have a USB port that delivers just enough power to keep a Fire Stick running. While this generally is for plugging in a thumb drive for viewing photos, music, or videos, it can also be used for less-needy streaming devices.

I have seen TVs that continuously power USB ports, and others that power them off when the TV is turned off. I've also experienced USB devices that need more power that the TV provides, so I always use a power brick. I bought a smart plug strip that switches some outlets on or off, depending on whether or not a device plugged into a control socket is drawing power or not. This is not the one I bought (which I can't find anymore) but this one is functionally equivalent: https://smudenergystore.com/TrickleStar-7-Outlet-APS/P-TKSAPS007.html

Slightly off topic, but related....
I have all my media devices segregated on a separate vlan and additionally only open those ports necessary for them to communicate with each other when necessary (DVR server and clients on same vlan). When resetting or reloading the client software, it cannot detect the server, but I have no problem connecting to it manually. So the question...
what protocol and port do you use for the server discovery?

I believe SSDP is 5353.

5353 is mDNS....already have that opened both UDP and TCP. SSDP UDP/1900 is also open. I don't have Bonjour enabled....is that necessary for discovery?

To traverse subsets/networks/VLANs, not only do you need the ports open, but broadcast packets need to be forwarded. You need to additionally look into a multicast relay or repeater. (The relay is preferable, as the repeater can introduce additional traffic on your network that can be quite noisy.)

Read again....everything is on the same vlan (DVR server and android client)

I skimmed over the latter part of your post.

Well, considering Bonjour == zeroconf == multicast DNS (mDNS), yes that’s most likely your problem. If your server is not advertising its services, how are you expecting clients to discover them?

Just wanted confirmation they weren't using an alternate method. For example...HDHomerun discovery happens on UDP/65000,
I don't like running unnecessary services, and I've had problems with Bonjour in the past.

From their own published docs (check out the Discovery section):

(Granted that’s for the clients’ API, but the DVR uses the same model.)

1 Like