2 HD Homerun different location/ Apple TV

I need step by step instructions:
I have an HD Homerun with channels server at home using apple tv . works great !
I want to add another HDHomerun at a remote location in another state at my folks home and remote connect to it on the apple tv at Home. I want to see my local channels and see the remote one at the same time so i can have mine work with my local channels and see the remote local channels and record remote, watch live, and stream recordings, is it possible?

This is beyond step-by-step instructions. It is possible, but you need very good internet upload speeds on your folks end. Plus you will need to set up some sort of VPN tunnel between the two locations. After that, you should be able to set it up in Channels with the regular instructions. It's comes down to networking and depending on site conditions, could be a project.

A default install of Channels can handle this, mostly. You will have the DVR remote, and you can record and stream your remote channels. However, your local channels will be for live viewing only.

Merging local and remote sources requires quite a bit more.

1 Like

Could I possibly create a custom channel on my end , and have the HD Homerun channel from remote location stream to my Channels DVR via the custom channel with the right streaming setttings ? possibly using VLC ?

What you are trying to do (i.e. make devices in different locations appear on the same LAN) requites a site-to-site VPN. Not something that is typically used in a residential environment. You can read this article for details.

You could also use a software defined network product like Zerotier which is super easy to implement IF you have sufficient infrastructure on both ends.

David, I would like to do the same thing you are describing. Did you ever get this to work?

hello , yes I did , here are some instructions.
I needed two channels accounts . so yeah $8 each month +$16 monthly.
I did some research how to to make a custom channel , click add source , custom channel.
My setup is would have a Mac mini in a different location set up with an antenna there and HD homrun box
I remote into that system back home to reboot and maintain . and also having a setup at my home.
to set this up , you need to open port forwarding with the ip on the router at the remote location.
you need to find your guide station ID number .. i googled mine. this way your guide will show the correct shows in the guide. I found links to station logo . so just replace. replace your info for stations etc...
so in the screenshot go to where you see https: that is the stream link ... here is how i got mine.
in Chrome I logged into channels to the remote location, I went to guide , clicked on a show in the guideand click watch now , this plays the stream . on a Mac do option+command i , you need to show network tab, Fetch/XHR when the info starts to show , right click on hls and copy link address.
This copies the logged in address . Past that into the custom channel to your home channels account. not the remote location one .. .and past where I referred to and save .
this should show up in your guide now showing your locals at home and the channels in the other city.
pretty awesome !

here is code in screenshots.

here is code text so you can copy and past and replace what you need to replace .

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="WTTG-DT" channel-number="5.1" tvc-guide-stationid="11905" tvg-logo="https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Logo_of_WTTG-TV_(1998-2006).png" tvg-name="WTTG-DT" tvc-guide-title="WTTG-DT" tvc-guide-description="WTTG Local Access" tvc-guide-art="https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Logo_of_WTTG-TV_(1998-2006).png",WTTG
https://

screens chrome

2 Likes

David thank you so much for the additional information. Once I get back to our vacation home in Northern MI I will give this a shot. Take good care.

There are now much easier and better ways to accomplish this. Without the need to pay for two dvr subs.

no problem, let me know if you have any questions.
you could also just log into the remote channels dvr on your app on your devices and watch.
for example, if you have channels at home and at a remote location . you are logged in at home. log out , i then unplugged my apple tv hardwire ethernet , connected to my phone hotspot went through processof log into remote dvr. and then im connected . then i plugged in ethernet and then i have it in the guide along with my home dvr. but you can't access home dvr records so thats a temp option to just watch

I echo this.

Tailscale is fantastic.

It is well worth the effort and learning curve to gain an understanding. Very easy to deploy!

1 Like

Testing this out and I'm having the following error:

2023/06/03 20:46:33.562616 [ERR] Failed to start stream for ch8.1: M3U: Could not fetch playlist: {masked for this post}.u.channelsdvr.net:8089: get https://{masked for this post}.u.channelsdvr.net:8089/devices/ANY/channels/8.1/hls/stream.m3u8/stream5.ts?abitrate=128&abr=false&acodec=aac&bitrate=2744&indexed=true&resolution=720&session={masked for this post}-KjUci1HZzfE37XjCsug7w%3D&ssize=1&vcodec=h264: 410 Gone
2023/06/03 20:46:33.607642 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch8.1-dANY-ip192.168.6.45: M3U: Could not fetch playlist: {masked for this post}.u.channelsdvr.net:8089: get https://{masked for this post}.u.channelsdvr.net:8089/devices/ANY/channels/8.1/hls/stream.m3u8/stream5.ts?abitrate=128&abr=false&acodec=aac&bitrate=2744&indexed=true&resolution=720&session={masked for this post}&ssize=1&vcodec=h264: 410 Gone
2023/06/03 20:46:33.607789 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch8.1-dANY-ip192.168.6.45

And here's the custom channel:

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Do u have port forwarding on the router?

I do for port 8089. Do I need additional ports?

Try dropping stream5.ts and use
/devices/ANY/channels/8.1/hls/stream.m3u8? ...

Seems strange to see that
Not sure, but it may mean the 5th stream when using tuner sharing?

Use this .

/hls/stream.m3u8?

1 Like

Thanks chDVRuser, that did the trick. No clue what that did, but mine isn't to question why.

1 Like