2 Step Authorization

If its not supported how do you use hulu live tv? or Youtube TV for that matter? (they email you an authorization code). I dont see a way to shut it off. It just during initial setup.

If it is not supported, why is Hulu Live in the list of providers to add?

1 Like

Because this new 2FA was not previously mandatory. This is a new change. Originally one could use Hulu Live solely with a password.

(It looks like this new and exclusive to Hulu Live, as a Hulu account without the Live add-on doesn't even offer 2FA as an option; it's only used to verify account changes, not logins.)

I contacted Hulu chat support about this and asked if I could disable two-step verification for my account. While they said it is not possible to disable two-step verification, they assured me they would send a ticket to Hulu tech support. :roll_eyes: The agent also said that the GetChannels community should work with the GetChannels Hulu community tech on this issue. I'm not sure how to engage the Hulu tech on the GetChannels Hulu community... Hopefully that means something to the Channels DVR team!

I'm a Hulu user and fortunately not having this problem as I configured prior to this apparently. However, if I were to ever need to migrate to a new server, I'm assuming I would have to reconfigure and then get locked out?

Is there a way for within Channels DVR setup screen to launch an iframe or popup of the Hulu page so the person could enter the information instead of relying on Channels having to do all the work behind the scene and not being able to enter the code? I'm not a programmer obviously, but I suspect more 2FA is coming to head off people sharing login and passwords, so best to get ahead of this issue if at all possible.

1 Like

Using and iFrame on a secure login page most likely won't work. Such a change should trigger some type of defense.

Did anyone figure out a workaround for this yet? I removed my hulu source and tried adding it back (in an effort to reset a TVE local channel error with CBS), and I too have fallen to the fate of 2FA, so my Channels DVR is a paperweight at the moment.

2FA is not compatible with Channels DVR and unless the devs manage to redesign their whole authentications system somehow, it never will be.

You can still use other TVE sources that do not force 2FA.
I do not have 2FA forced (as of yet) for Xfinity, Philo, DirectTV.
There is also never a worry about 2FA for OTA using HDHR.

No "workaround" for Hulu Live TV. However, I was able to move to Philo plus Sling Blue to get all the cable channels I watch that were on Hulu Live TV and the pricing is basically the same. I have HDHR for recording OTA channels.

Sling has particularly poor TVE support.

Rats! I'll test for the next few days and see how it goes. If I have to, I'll move to YTTV as it is the same price as Hulu Live TV. The one channel I'll lose vs Hulu Live TV that I watch is A&E, but that isn't a big deal to me or my family. The channels we really need are:

Animal Planet
Discovery
Food Network
Nat Geo Wild
Science Channel
TLC

I’d wait until after 11/9 before taking the plunge with YTTV. They are going to start forcing 2FA on that date and we’re not sure how it will affect Channels.

Gotcha. I did say I wasn't a programmer. :wink:

I think it's safe to say most streaming services are headed in this direction eventually, and it's best to get ahead of the curve before Channels sees a negative impact to usage. I also use OTA for my locals, but that's only about 50% of the viewing in our house, and both YTTV and HuluTV have the widest TVE compatible channels I've found so far. Other option is to stay with FIOS and continue to use my cable cards, but that defeats the purpose of cutting the cable bill IMO.

2 Likes

For what it's worth, I just signed up for a free trial with Hulu + Live TV and had no 2FA or other issue adding it as a source to Channels DVR.

I happen to be running the Channels-TVE container on a Debian machine, and running the latest pre-release version. No idea if that matters.

This came up for me in the current discussion of Google forcing 2FA for recoverable accounts beginning 11/9. Provider - YouTube TV - #581 by markmarz

Hope this helps someone, or at least is a useful data point.

Oh, and I fully agree with @jator .. if at all possible, Channels is going to have to come up with a way to handle 2FA. I realize that may not be possible. But it does seem that's the direction providers are going.

1 Like

I've got a second computer than I used as a backup. I'll fire it up and try and install Hulu to see if I'm getting the 2FA issue as well or if it's working. I'm running Mint Linux servers and install Channel via command line.

Fired up the second computer and tried to install Hulu. Failed for 2FA, I suspect they don't turn on 2FA for trial accounts maybe?

Possible. I'm not going to spend $65 to find out, because knowing won't help. You might try to see if you can find a way to register for a new trial. Maybe a different registration email?

Just for fun, last night I tried again to add my Hulu Live TVE source to Channels DVR and IT WORKED! No two step verification and the scan added 151 channels. If anyone is having this problem with Hulu, try it again and it might work. If not, I did contact Hulu support and asked to remove two step verification. They said it could not be removed, but it's not there now, so I don't know... :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Installed on my backup computer and can confirm as well the 2FA wasn't triggered this time. Seems like they have turned it off, even if temporarily.

Had an issue with authentication for YTTV using a dedicated non-recoverable Google account. Not strictly a 2FA issue but I think it may be of interest. Here's the post in the YTTV Provider topic: