2020 LG GX television with α9 Gen 3 AI Processor 4K

I am looking at this television as it has a processor that can handle streaming and native apps well. No need to switch inputs to get around the tv hardware limitations. It also handles ATSC3.0 natively.

Is there any roadmap for development of the Channels app in the LG app store without using a 3rd party device (ATV, Fire, etc).

No plans to develop more apps. Our hands are full trying to maintain the current platforms we support.

Respectfully, you wouldn’t want that anyway. Smart TV UI’s are clunky at best, and extremely proprietary. ATV/Roku/Fire boxes or sticks give us all freedom of choice over a preferred GUI for our living rooms. This is the way to go. Best part about it NOT being built in? If you ever decide you don’t like Apple, Roku or whatever, you can just swap it out with something else. Upgrading is also easier this way, if newer hardware comes out (I do believe Apple is set to unveil a new ATV either this year or next).

If you really are most concerned with having it all built into the TV, I guess you could buy one of those TCL TV’s with Roku built in...

1 Like

Roku is not really supported by Channels DVR. There is a Roku beta app with minimum features, but is not on the Devs road map for additional development.

Point taken, but it’s for this reason and many others, why no built in UI will ever address all of your needs. The flexibility to switch out for something else is priceless, so try not to grow too attached to what is built in.

Nobody buys a TV for the apps....you buy a smart box/stick for those.

1 Like

:rofl: ha. thats a laugh...and a pretty big assumption on your part.
Work in retail at all, you know that is not true.
People buy cheap and super expensive Smart TVs all the time to use the apps built in.
Average consumer does not want multiple boxes and things hooked up to thier tv or have many remotes.
Sure, streamboxes/sticks are popular for those who do not have a smart tv, or have no need/desire to replace thier currenlty working tv, or have a smart tv that is one that is not a full OS like Android/Roku, those tvs like Vizio that have own OS with limited app support,.
15yrs of Retail sales and tech support experince here.

I use Nvidia Shields. Cause i see no need to buy a new 42in smart tv for my living room when the 5yrold Vizio non smart tv, i got for free, still works and looks excellent. Second, in my office, i do not have a tv at all, but a 32in LG computer monitor i share with my desktop computer...and i wish to use that monitor for tv/streambox/game counsel use.

I’m not saying people don’t....I’m suggesting they shouldn’t...

If something goes wrong with an app, of if there’s a feature that is wanted, there’s no telling how long one would have to wait, with a SmartTV app. And that’s IF the app is even available on the SmartTV.

Buy a TV for the quality of the picture (of which the Sharp OLED’s have), but buy a box/stick for most other things. That way the cost of upgrading your hardware is minimized.