2026-10-06: Warner Bros. Discovery becomes a Paramount-Skydance property

With all the court cases settled, Paramount-Skydance will officially take over Warner Bros. Discovery on Tuesday October 6, 2026.

What this means long-term is up for much debate, but in the short-term (next five years), it might be a bit of status quo for many things Channels DVR users take advantage of, particularly with the linear stations, which I'll take as a small win. Here is an overview of the terms of the settlement:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/key-terms-paramounts-warner-bros-discovery-settlement-with-us-states-2026-09-21/

From the article:

BASIC CABLE ‌LICENSING ⁠AND CARRIAGE

** Separate negotiations: For five years after the merger, Paramount and Warner Bros must negotiate distribution and carriage deals for their respective basic cable channels independently to preserve market competition.

** Information firewalls: The settlement restricts the sharing or use of one legacy company's confidential licensing and affiliate data in negotiations involving the other.

** Affiliate fee guardrails: Limits changes to affiliate fee negotiations and agreements with pay-TV and satellite providers to protect consumer pricing.

So I'm reading that as Paramount-Skydance can't take WBD's stations behind the Paramount+ paywall like they've done with their own stations. However, that doesn't mean anything for DRM, but I imagine they'd rather avoid implementing new technology over the next five years until they can run out the clock and merge their technology stacks completely together.

I guess what I'm saying, then, is let's not panic yet and just assume we'll be able to get all our legally entitled stations one way or another!

2 Likes

At this point, i suggest working on an plan for getting channels as they drop off TVE
I'm already set. don't wait until it goes away.

1 Like

maybe I'm wrong but paramount does not choose what the stations we get, it's the cable company

5 years for a long time and the landscape and the leadership will probably change by then. I'm not expecting the current situation to change drastically

It's not a big deal for me either way since its all TV. I'll get my fill elsewhere.