2nd Remote for AppleTV 4K?

Having a single remote is unpleasant. We currently have 3 remotes with my Tivo.

Any suggestions for a second remote? Is it even possible? It seems that AppleTV is not able to pair with 2 remotes. I've seen the SofaBaton X1 remote that might work, but it seems buggy.

1 Like

You can use your iOS device as a remote

If you have line of sight to the Apple TV, you can Use other remotes to control Apple TV.

You could use an existing IR remote or buy a cheap universal remote with multiple functions & assign one to the Apple TV. (I have a pair of GE universal remotes. They're not too expensive, have pretty nice layouts & can even control my AV Receiver & Apple TV at the same time).

Or... go wild & do what I did: repurpose a few Zigbee remotes via Home Assistant & use the API to send commands to Channels! :joy: :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, but the last iPhone that I had was the original model. Anyways, often, when I'm grabbing for the remote, it's to quickly rewind or fast-forward. Having to sign in to the timed-out phone misses the moment. Looking for a very responsive and ready-to-use device.

1 Like

Oh, interesting. It sounds like it also supports IR and these don't need to pair. Much better. Thank you! It matches my current setup. 1 RF and 2 IR remotes.

Holy Cow! Those GE remotes are uber inexpensive! Definitely worth considering. But, I kind of like the touchpad on the Siri remote, even though I haven't fully mastered how to make it dance yet.

I'm willing to spend good money on a great remote, but was hoping to find a recommendation from someone that was using it for the same application.

Again, thank you!

1 Like

The home screen of iOS turns into a remote and offers both a touch interface and siri options like the official remote. And you can have multiple iOS devices connected as remotes. You can also type or copy/paste to the the on-screen keyboard.

But that won't help if you don't have a device that runs iOS.

I don't understand why you don't offer a Support section on your website that includes screenshots.
Sometimes it's hard to understand what's being talked about in a thousand words where a picture can explain it.
Maybe it's because Channels DVR is always evolving and it would be too difficult to keep it updated?
As a new user (many years ago) I really struggled with this and had to spend a lot of time reading the forum and trying to interperet what the words meant.
Many new users want a walk through, easy how-to, what does it look like, instead of reading forum threads or trying to figure out what a Support article means...

I think there have been many posts with screenshots from us users that take up space on your website that could be put to better use in a support article.

And personnaly, when I try to support your users on a platform I don't use, it's very difficult not knowing where to find something or what a screen looks like on their platform.

This question has nothing to do with Channels.
If you want another remote for your Apple TV, then buy one. They are available from Apple, Amazon, etc.

This is true but this forum has frequently discussed various remote control solutions for Channels' most popular client.

Yes, but you can't pair and use two of them simultaneously on the same device. That's the question the OP is asking, which other remote controls can be used as a 2nd, at the same time, on one AppleTV?

2 Likes

I use an IR remote from an older Apple TV with my newer 4K version and it works perfectly fine. No volume control obviously. You can get them on eBay for $10.

1 Like

Exactly. Thank you for the support. I never had any intentions of buying an AppleTV, however, after reading many community posts, I learned that ChannelsDVR first releases on AppleTV. It was suggested that this would provide a superior interface. So, wanting a great ChannelsDVR experience, I purchased two AppleTVs. And then I had to learn both the AppleTV and ChannelsDVR.

Only later, did I learn that you cannot pair multiple remotes. So, I figured that this was a vibrant and sharing community who may be able to guide me, an AppleTV novice, thru the jungle path. Good news is that the community guided me to an alternate (IR) solution.

2 Likes

This is a workable solution for that:

1 Like

You may want to see if your TV’s remote will control Apple TV. I have LG TVs and the remotes that came with them will control Apple TVs with all functions supported.

2 Likes

Yep, my Samsung remote controls my Apple TV right alongside my Siri remote.

Nice find!

for the last 3 + years I've been using two Inteset model int-422-3 's with my Apple TV 4K's (have 4 of them). Works very well, I like it better than the Apple remote. No trouble pairing or using same remote on a different Apple 4K. I would recommend it very highly.

FWIW I used the old EyeTV remotes I still have (from the days when EyeTV was a product).
Pretty much any IR remote can be used; you simply train the Apple TV – it asks you to press the Up key, the Play key, and so on till it knows the full set.

When I was doing this (which was a few years ago, with the aTV HD) every button on the standard Apple remote could be mapped to an IR button except (for some bizarre reason) the home button. So for everyday use (play, pause, jump fwd/bwd, even volume control) the IR Remote was fine.
(Depending on your system setup, you can either get the TV to respond to volume control from the IR remote, rather than aTV, or if you have a CEC setup [should be any TV in the past few years] then you send aTV a volume change and it sends it to the TV/soundbar/whatever else you have hooked up.)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.