4K drone video

Had an extra great experience with Channels DVR today. I dropped some 4K DJI drone video into my imports directory, re-scanned for new files, and the Fire TV 4K stick (on the local network wi-fi) just simply played it on a 4K TV in all it's full resolution glory. No transcoding, no fuss, no judder, no pausing, just played it perfectly.

When I tried the same thing on another Fire TV stick (non-4K) the playing failed, so I flipped on the 1080 transcoding for local network and it played just fine.

That is really great stuff. Thanks to the developers.

1 Like

As it turns out, it plays great on a remote Shield also. It hammers the servers CPU to transcode, but it plays great anyway.

1 Like

Where is your DVR running ?

I found out today that my Shield does hardware transcoding +encoding of HEVC10-bit ... and my Expensive Synology can only decode it. Scratching my head.

The Channels DVR server is running on a Win 7 64 bit PC with a 2500K.

Is that also where you run SageTV ?

My production DVR is below my test on my Shield Pro.
OSSynology DS1019+
Linux
(kernel: 4.4.59+)
CPU
4 cores / Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
load averages: 0.50 0.52 0.55
RAM15.48 GB
89.4% free
Disk
34.6% used
9.13 TB available
ActivityIdle

Yes. For example, when streaming remotely (Channels DVR only), ffmpeg will hammer the CPU to, say, between 50 and 95% for just one streaming device. Unfortunately, we've never been able to figure out why Handbrake can use quicksync on this same machine, but Channels can't.