Access Channels DVR via RTSP

Hi,
I've figured out how to access the source video URLs and import them into OBS using below syntax but was wondering if there are RTSP URLs I could use instead?

For example: http://[server]:[port]/devices/ANY/channels/[channel#]/hls/master.m3u8?abr=false

where [server] is the IP of my Channels DVR, [port] is the port #, and [channel #] is the channel number of the stream I am trying to watch from the guide.

Ultimately, I am trying to access multiple channels 3-4 and use an application to view them in split-screen. Currently OBS with above syntax works but I am also looking at IPTV tools which use RTSP as perhaps an alternative with better performance.

1 Like

To cut down on the processing your DVR server needs to do, swap out the /hls/master.m3u8 and everything after in your URL, and use /stream.mpg. This way the DVR just passes out its streams without any additional processing, leading to quicker streaming. (Just note, the stream.mpg endpoint is a MPEG Transport Stream, not HLS.)

Edit: IIRC, most RTSP servers offer up transport streams, so it might be in your best interest to use the MPEG-TS endpoint for your experiments.

There is no rtsp server inside Channels DVR.

1 Like

This is great info, thanks. I'm experimenting with QuadStream and CCTV Viewer for streaming multiple live channels at once. There can be some startup delays though. If my sources are TVE, Locast and Pluto. with no additional hardware or antennas, would there be any functional difference between MPEG TS and HLS in this context? Or is it the same end result way? I tried a few channels just now and can't really detect a significant speed difference on the wired AppleTV, but I've only just started testing.