Ad hoc recording

I'd like the ability, w/in the AppleTV app in particular, to be able to trigger recordings in the following two ways:

• start recording the current show starting immediately
  • schedule a channel to start recording at an arbitrary time, independent of the channel guide show schedule

The first can already be accomplished. When you pull down the Quick Guide, there is a Record button below/following the description of the current program.

The second can technically be done, but it is a crazy and difficult kludge. Presently the DVR needs a program/episode entry to associate with each recording. This feature has often been requested, and it is on the developers' radar. However, there is no timeline for when it may be implemented.

I think this would be cool too. Sometimes you want to just record a 4-hour block or so of a particular channel. Basically like what you would get out of using a VCR. For me, in this case I would want the DVR to give the recording as a single file and not break it up into separate programs. It seems like it would just name these based on the time and channel. They would probably need their own area as well.