ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

How would I know which supports deep links vs. ones that don't?

That's a good question -- without a good answer. Figuring out if an app supports deeplinks or not is not an easy process. If you're more than a little technically inclined, there are ways to gather clues using adb or by pulling apart the app's apk. Sometimes, it's as easy as figuring out what URLs are used by the browser version of an app and that will work as a deeplink.

If that type of easter egg hunt doesn't appeal to you, it's best to stick with apps where the deep links are known. Use search on this thread, the original HDMI for Channels thread, and the multiple ah4c threads to get an idea what the options are.

Isn’t NESN supported natively by Channels DVR TV Anywhere? Or did that recently change?

Looking at the decompiled app I don’t see any evidence of deep link support. ah4c is probably going to be a better bet among the Android device controlling options.

I'm using FuboTVj and NESN is supported on Tv-everywhere.

Can you share some guidance? I have quite a few of these ospreys, and I'm having a hell of a time trying with these things requiring new RSA fingerprints every so often when running adb commands to it. I currently capture these boxes manually with 4 channel encoder, and have a script that runs that send adb channel # to keep them on the right channel. What project are using with the osprey boxes? This one?

This is the project you're after:

No need to struggle, thanks to @spammedeeper it's a ready to use project with Osprey boxes and DTVStream.

You should post your questions there, after looking things over.

3 Likes

Wicked fast reply, Much appreciated!

I have five Osprey boxes total and three of them in production. ADBTuner is fantastic, but for Osprey boxes, AH4C is the way to go. My Osprey/AH4C setup has been in production for months.

The advantage of AH4C is the ability to script and tune on demand. Once setup, AH4C does the following:

• Wakes next available Osprey Box, skipping one(s) that may already be in use (multi tuner setup)
  • Sends an ADB command to input channel number, tune channel.
  • At end of recording or live view by Channels, send sleep command to Osprey.

I mention the on demand setup as it sounds like, per your post, you are fighting to keep the Osprey's live or constantly tuned to channels. You can avoid that headache.

To your RSA issue, AH4C stores static ADB Keys in the setup. Once you setup and allow on the Ospreys, you should not have to connect again. I suspect you are getting new keys when you start shell sessions on your current setup.

As @bnhf said, I contributed to the AH4C projects once my setup was tested and complete. You should be able to spin up an AH4C setup pretty quickly.

To anyone else wondering why I like the Osprey Boxes so much...

• The DirecTV Interface on these boxes is build around channel numbers, so it makes it easy to tune channels via ADB. The channels numbers will likely never change and you don't have to update URLs or arrow key directions.
  • Osprey boxes have Ethernet!
  • Have a USB port to plug in Keyboard for setup if you buy Osprey Box without remote.
  • They are cheap beyond cheap used on eBay (if you pick a reputable seller).

Let me know if you need any help.

Happy streaming!

3 Likes

Definitely supported by TVE. I was just thinking about the next step. The real issue is getting NBC Sports Boston into Channels DVR. I guess after the 1st round, all Celtics playoff games will be on TNT/TBS.

Anyone else trying to create "backup" channels in adbturner from multiple providers in the same ADBTuner instance? I.E. Comedy Central is available on Hulu and Philo, so I created an entry for both and used the same channel number as TVE.

I am getting duplicates in the guide on android when stacking by channel number. I think I might need to use the same station id in my M3U for both entries in ADBTuner, but hoping someone can confirm.

Found a solution. Just slipt the single M3U file into two by source and added them individually. Now Channels aggregates them and I have a single ADBTuner Instance.

Is there anyway this could work to stream the Formula 1 app feed into channels?

1 Like

When you try watching formula 1 on the web, what kind of link are you presented with?
If the stream deep links through the website, you might have a chance.
What service are you using?

Hi, is there a way to stop adbtuner so it will say available when it says in use without going to the page and clicking it to free it up? This is not a adbtuner issue.

Never mind, I set all tuners to the same priority.

@Edwin_Perez What are the latest details to know about using ADBTuner with the Xfinity app?

Do I need the experimental version? Compatibility mode? How many concurrent streams are allowed by Xfinity? What's the best way to determine the deeplink URLs? Do you have, or know of an M3U, with a decent number of Xfinity deeplinks defined?

1.You can have 5 devices Streaming.
2. Compatibility Mode on.
3. use Chrome or any web browser logon to xfinity TV launch a channel get deep link in link bar. The title of the show is just a placeholder and can be replace by Channel name.

I only use it for HBO and Showtime have 2 Prime Tuners for other Channels.
Sample channel

2 Likes

@Turtletank - would you consider adding a feature to ADBTuner so that it cycles though all of the encoders, rather than always use them in the same order? For example, with 3 tuners, everything idle, if I watch a channel on tuner #1, then stop playback, then select another channel, it would use tuner #2 and then tuner #3 the next time - this would "exercise" all of the Onn TV boxes - I don't see an issue with the way it currently works, but my 2nd and 3rd tuners don't get used too often and it would be nice to get them in the mix more often to see if they are still working - thanks for considering

Also hsving the ability to reorder the tuners would be great. Sometimes i want to test a channel om a specific tuner or one may ne having issues and i want ti demote it to the last tuner etc.

1 Like

I pushed an update to the experimental build this morning that adds a priority field for each tuner. The lowest numbered tuner will be used first.

The default behavior when the priority fields are all the same was changed to selecting one at random instead of going by the order in which they were originally added. This random selection should help keep all of the tuners in-use without having to keep track of tuner usage history in ADBTuner.

1 Like