ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

I was thinking of picking up this device to use with Channels and the project.
https://www.amazon.com/EXVIST-Encoder-Hikvision-Streaming-Facebook/dp/B08FDZRP9G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1AYYKF7WX3TNE&keywords=cctv+video+encoder&qid=1688865777&sprefix=cctv+video+encoder%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-4
The box would be right noext to the access point so no problem there.
I wanted to consider this as an idea.
if anyone else has some suggests, i would love to hear.

thanks

2 Likes

I have this one which I think the same as the encoder you are looking at except that it does not have the WiFi module. It's cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDZ2VNZ

If you can load developer Tools menu loader, you can enable what is called system Ex-ray on the device.
Now, launch Silk.
You will see the needed package information.
When you are done, go back into developer tools shortcut to disable X-ray mode.

thanks

The following will load Weatherscan in the Silk Browser on a FireTV device, but it won't go into fullscreen so you will be stuck with an address bar. Maybe there is another installable browser that can be configured to default to fullscreen?

{
    "provider_name": "Web",
    "number": 20000,
    "name": "Weatherscan",
    "url": "https://weatherscan.net/",
    "package_name": "com.amazon.cloud9",
    "alternate_package_name": "",
    "component": "com.amazon.cloud9.browsing.BrowserActivity",
    "compatibility_mode": true,
    "tvc_guide_stationid": ""
}

I don't really intend to support the loading of webpages via ADBTuner, but if it can be done in the same way media is loaded that could be a nice bonus.

2 Likes

Thanks! I got it working, but as I think about it more, I think I'll use Chrome Capture for Weatherscan, so as not to affect the load times for YouTube TV channels. I also started getting some weird behavior right after viewing Weatherscan, where channels would load on the encoder (I could see them if checking in VLC), but not pass through to the Channels client, which would eventually time out. That could be completely unrelated, though, and just coincidence. I rebooted everything (Channels, ADBTuner, my encoders, and both Fire devices) and all is back to normal.

1 Like

Complete (standard US-East) YoutubeTV .json for import into ADBTuner. With guide numbers.

I have exported a .json of all the standard YoutubeTV channels for everyone with a YoutubeTV subscription to share. About 100 channels. Many of these are also available via TVE. Please be aware that the links will be East Coast when applicable. Also I excluded locals like ABC, NBC, FOX because they are geoblocked and would not be useable by most people here. Also I do not subscribe to any additional YoutubeTV packages like Starz and Sports and whatnot so those are not included.

TIP: My channel number scheme starts in the 3000s. This can be easily changed by using a text editor and doing a search/replace for "3: and replace with a starting point you like. For example replacing ":3 with ":42 will mean that channel 3121 will become 42121.

4 Likes

Ya'll making me go broke. I just got a new mini M2 and now this to play around with. Oh what fun I will have!!!
Anyone know if I will be able to get the USA EAST feed via Hulu if my zip is set to San Diego, CA?

What is the streaming endpoint? Would that be like a h.264 encoder box? If so, what protocals are supported? Does it have to be http, or can it be rtsp?

2 Likes

As far as I can gather this Philo URL is for the show and not for the channel itself

Thank you for putting this together. Especially with the Gracenote station IDs. This will be a big help!

@hiperwall Yes, this would most commonly be used with a encoder box like you describe. At the moment ADBTuner only supports HTTP/MPEGTS.

@joagomez In my experience, the Philo URLs that contain /player/player/channel/ are for a specific channel. The Philo URLs that contain /player/player/broadcast/ are for specific shows.

I posted a update over the weekend that adds some status indicators for each "tuner component."

If any of your devices are running an Android version lower than 9 you will also now see a warning in the web interface. Those devices will work, but it will require enabling "compatibility mode" for all of the channels which will result in slower tuning time and other downgrades.

1 Like

@turtletank: I am really enjoying the status indicators you added to the latest version, thank you!

Awesome. thanks. I have a few I can play around with.

Just so I am clear, I have a Chromecast/GoogleTV(newest one) and it all set up. I have the ADBTUner set up on my Unraid. What else do I need? Links? I guess I thought this was all I needed but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Thanks

1 Like

Well, my encoder and chromecast 4k showed up today.

I'm stuck on the Channel "Component" Field.
How are you deriving this information?
For example Fubo?

Thanks

If anyone here uses the Haystack News aggregator App on their android device, here is a .json file for setting that up. Of course since Haystack is an on-the-fly news video aggregator there is no station-id to supply, which also means no nice graphical logo to go in to your ChannelsDVR listings. Maybe eventually ADBTuner will be able to pass along custom fields to ChannelsDVR like tvg-logo="https://www.logo-designer.co/storage/2020/06/2020-Haystack-TV-Rebrands-Haystack-News-Logo-Design.jpg"

But it functions nicely. Remember that by default the app doesn't full screen the video till 20 seconds after opening. But this not a big annoyance.

I'm not sure the Fubo app supports deep linked content. I haven't seen anyone use them for any of these Channels integrations.

Looking at the apk.. the only activity (component) that accepts URLs is tv.fubo.mobile.presentation.onboarding.dispatch.controller.DispatchActivity and it only accepts urls from the hostname link.fubo.tv or with the protocol fubotv://. The application is com.fubo.firetv.screen (yes, it's firetv even on the chromecast).

I don't have an account with them so I can't look into it further. Maybe the info above might help you get you in the right direction to figure it out. Or confirm that it's not possible.

I have two devices that are rather old so went ahead and ordered the On Walmart box and have it set up.
If I need to perform any additional steps during setup, let me know.
I'm understanding that I need to put the developer options in place.
Looking forward to putting everything online.

I have fubo, hulu, and directv stream currently for testing.
Fubo (and NBC) is the only one I was able to get to work with Chrome Capture and it works perfectly.
I would prefer to use Hulu as it is a better value for me, but I have not been able to work out what the links are for the channels.

I had gleaned the application name for Fubo from the Apps Screen in Settings. I have no idea how you came up with the component name though. These things always leave me with more questions than answers. Thanks for the help!

Do you mind sharing your setup for ADBTuner in Unraid? I am interested in running the docker in my Unraid box rather than under Docker Destkop in Windows but I have only installed dockers from the Community Applications - I tried the method of having Unraid attempt to convert the docker into a CA type but I think there are some parameters missing like the volume, which I don't quite understand how to set up.

EDIT: nevermind - I got it working on Unraid - it was easy

2 Likes

Glad you figured it out.