ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

I'm using experimental version of ADBTuner.
do we have a way of having it check for profile selection on Hulu Live?
I was able to select the profile and it seems to keep after first launch.
Let me know if i'm missing anyting.

Last word @turtletank was looking into it.
I occasionally (rarely) will see the profile prompt, or some other error screen with a retry option.
Yesterday I had a message informing me the price was going up....yay.
I wonder if its possible to detect a static image, that would be a clue that something is waiting for a click.
Just thinking out loud here.

My wife had a profile on the account but she never uses it becuase she is either watching other stuff and or we are watching the same stuff
Personally, use the interface only for on demand content.
We only interact with Hulu through ADB/channels/TVE.

1 Like

Been a bit too busy for ADBTuner this past week. I will look into the Hulu thing, though the Hulu app usually remembers the last selected profile so it shouldnā€™t be as crucial as Fubo.

I did see the ā€œprice increaseā€ popup last week along with a ā€œpick your favorite NFL teamā€ popup. Not sure what to do about that. I guess one could spam the enter button a few times and try to tune again if the video doesnā€™t start. Though I think the NFL one required clicking down a few times to select ā€œskipā€ so that still wouldnā€™t work.

Hi,
When i removed the etra profile, I did notice it did start up things a little quicker.
I'm going to assume that Hulu accounts used with ADB Tuner should have one profile.
I'm finding it helps to have the same encoder type being used as the endpoint.
things just seem to transition a little smoother.
Philo works every time.

I only have 1 profile with anything I'm using with ADB.

1 Like

I'm running ADBTuner with an Onn 4k box. On long recordings, at exactly 4 hours into the recording, I get a popup message: "Standby
The Android TV device will soon turn off, press a button to keep it on."

And then Onn 4k shuts off. I have checked the power settings and it's set to never auto turn off the device. Has anyone else run into this?

shut off power saver.
I don't even let it go to sleep.
So far so good.
I'm watching Fox thursday night Baseball.
Video seems good.
Ii've been on my ONN boxes all day watching stuff not on TVE or other sources.

1 Like

This is wild stuff. Witchcraft. Does it work with spectrum? I assume not since spectrum uses web interface and roku app. Does it work on directv stream/4k?

Watching different shows is fine, but he's talking about one recording that goes at least 4 hours. The box will go to sleep if you don't send a key press even if you have power save turned off. And yeah it's dumb.

Worked around this with a simple adb keypress script that runs every hour.

1 Like

The experimental version of ADBTuner already has OCR support for seeing "Who's Watching" type messages at the start of streams. Perhaps support for bypassing this shutoff popup could be added.

I just added YouTube TV on my tuners and the process was a little tricky.
i did notice that the channels seem to tune in a little quicker than Hulu live.
So far everyting seems to be working.

2 Likes

Iā€™m late to the ADBTuner party. I followed the instructions to load it in Docker on my Raspberry Pi and get this response:

ā€œdocker: no matching manifest for Linux/arm/v7 in the manifest list entries.ā€

I noticed the docker website only mentions AMD64 and ARM64. Is it not compatible with my device?

Iā€™m very weak on Linux and/or Pi stuff. Any idea what Iā€™m doing wrong?

If you have an RPi3 or above, it's not your device but the OS that's the issue. Switch to the 64bit version of the Raspberry Pi OS, and you'll be good to go.

Hi there,
Wanted to let you know that i have played a bit with Hulu and Youtube TV and appears Youtube TV loads faster under ADB Tuner.
Youtube TV still does great once it is logged in and setup.

I am a big user of Cable Cards/HDHomerun Primes. While Xfinity still supports them I fully expect that they will discontinue them in the not to distant future. This seems like a pretty cool alternative but I have a couple of questions. Say I get a HDMI encoder with a ton of ports or multiple encoders with high port counts will Channels work similar to how it does with HDHomerun Prime tuners where it will pick from an available tuner? For example if I have an 8 port encoder with the same android device plugged into each port and I tune to channels on different TVs will it know what devices are active and which are not? I would be willing to buy hardware and be a guinea pig for testing if this is the intended experience of the app.

1 Like

Yes, it works the same, I have two encoders set up with ADBTuner, and can do tuner sharing and all of the other management and prioritization that CDVR does with other channels added via sources. It works really well!

I concur with @Fofer. I have a 4 channel encoder connected to 2 Onn and 2 Chromecast and it works seamlessly with ChannelsDVR and ADBTuner as a source and YouTubeTV as streamer. In fact I would say channel change latency is even on par with YouTubeTV TVE, plus it allows access to all the channels that donā€™t have viable TVE options.

On a side note I also use Threadfin (formerly xTeVe) to send my ADBTuner source channels from ChannelsDVR .m3u/.xmltv over to Plex. Works like a charm there too.

@Fofer @Absenm is there a brand of encoder that works best? I'm likely going to need 8-16 sources to cover myself for sports Multiview.

I was tipped off to a sale on eBay, for two used "FMUser" H.265 encoders at $50 each. They work well enough for my needs and was at the price point I was willing to pay early on, at least when this all felt like an interesting experiment! For 8+ sources now though, I think you'll be better off starting with one of these, see how you like it, and expand from there: https://amzn.to/3PIUhyN

1 Like